Customer never came back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Nov 21, 2007.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have this one customer that leaves for Europe every summer for 2 months. They are actually citizens over there. They always prepay me and it all works out fine. Until this year, they left and have been gone now since June. I stopped cutting their grass just last month because I have no idea where they are; cannot get a hold of them and I didn't know what else to do. We figured they were having trouble getting back into the states and kept cutting. I have been servicing these people for about 5 yrs now, and they are really good people, no problems until now.

2. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

If it's not too much work, just keep servicing the account. Chances are good that they'll come back and you'll have stuck with them. You can always put a lien on the house. I wouldn't go past your normal renewal time though.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would say in the future get an e-mail or something. One thing to try. Go to www.pinellascounty.org

on the right side click on property appraiser, when that opens go to the right side of the page and click on "search our database". Search by address, and the property info will come up. It should give their name and home address in their home country.

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thanks man. I will check that out. Oh and i have their e-mail and phone number still no replies.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry to hear that, customers like these are hard to come by and it sounds like one of those surprises one hates to run across.

You might, when you access your county's property management section on their Web site, see if the house is (or still is) in their name. If it is that doesn't change anything, but if it's not that would at least give you a heads up here, the difference I'm getting at is whether or not the house has been sold or even belongs to them, not that it matters in itself but it's one more piece of the puzzle.

I think stopping services when you did is about the only logical choice here.
    Unfortunately once they move outside of the country not even the credit bureaus have any effect so more than likely it's a write off, but for the 5 years these customers paid for services rendered this could be considered an investment of sorts.

Your choice if you'd consider continuing services, personally speaking I would not, once that choice was made.

Other notes: The only two valid excuses for never paying me are death, and moving out of the country :laugh:

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Decision time.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah if they have alway's been good customers stick with them. As said before you can put a lean on the property if they don't pay and the courts will enforce it if they don't.

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call to make, what a dilemma ....
    If you tried to contact them by phone and email and no response, I would halt mowing till they get back to you....

Maybe there's a reason they don't respond ....!
    Either they can't or they can but don't....

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

who knows but I'm done mowing that yard. I think they will come back, though it will probably be sometime next year.

10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

When they return, I'm sure they can find you...