customer no longer needs me....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MortonLawn, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just lost a very nice account due to the reason of them trying to save money, I've worked for them for 3 years now. does anyone ever have this happen to them?? if so, do you ever feel like things might start to go downhill?? I'm probably just being really paranoid, but I'm having a hard time with this for some reason. Thanks for listening.:)

2. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

Most 70 year old people will not cut their lawn but I have seen a few old goats cutting when the sun goes down

3. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it happens occasionaly.

Don't let it get you down.

Keep on doing quality work, continue being reliable,
    and you will keep getting new and better accounts by people just seeing your work, and by customer referrals.

We work in a very price competitive market here in SW Florida, but we have been succesful for 15 years by providing uncommon quality and reliability,
    we're not getting rich mind you, but we do make a comfortable/simple living with few worries.

The hand of the diligent will prosper!

Bob
    Lehighlawnpros

4. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

I had 5 accounts cancel this spring due to trying to save money. They are mowing their own lawns, and I feel much better when I drive by because the yards all look bad.

It happens, and I do expect to hear of more lawn companies loosing accounts because of people trying to save money for food or fuel.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are definitely going to see more of this happening with the economy this bad. There are more and more people getting put out of work everyday, Bank of America just stated they were going to let 7,500 people go. I fully believe it will get worse than I have seen in my lifetime and I will be 59 in August.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Never seen it really until this year. I lost 10% of my spraying clients in the spring. All but one of them said, "everything was great, but we're gonna try to do it ourselves to save money." Mowing I've only ever had 1 guy actually go back to doing things himself... until this year. I lost a couple of them who finally decided that it was time for their good-for-nothing teenagers to start doing it...

New work comes along. All that I lost are replaced and we've grown. Just shrug it off and let them know you're ready and waiting when they change their mind!

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I lost about 8% of my accounts due to them cutting their own yards this year. Luckily they were small lawns. That being said, I picked up some new accounts, so it's about even for the year as of now.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The economy is good in some parts of the country and bad in others. All depends on the type work your area depends on ie manufacturing, textiles etc. Many in certain sectors are really hurting and looking for anyway possible to cut expenses. Nothing we can do about that except give those a rate cut. Not many of us can afford to do that because our expenses are going up too. But is some money better than no money? If you can't easily replace accounts then you have to ask yourself that question.
    Things are going to get much worse as fuel prices continue to drive up inflation. I think many who depend on home heating oil will freeze to death this winter without some sort of charity assistance and/or government assistance. People are trying to save money just to pay their heating bills this winter

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Where I live in here in Houston, Texas we are definatly not in a recession. Everything is going as normal and I am growing alot this year. I feel bad for you guys in the bad parts of the country.

10. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez LawnSite Member

I lost a small commercial account last week, owner decided to do it by himself (looks like poop). This week I picked up another commercial account worth 6 x's as much. I guess everything will even out in the end.