Customer not happy with mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lasher66, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't play around with someone like this. If she says she's not paying, send a lein letter and call an attorney for advice. Never let people screw you

I wouldn't go back and repossess, already lost money on the job.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, what did the mulch smell like? I have never had a mulch that didn't smell at least a little. Its bark for crying out loud! What kind of mulch was it? Actually, isn't one of the reasons that cedar is so popular becaause it has a natural odor that deters insects (like a cedar chest)? Also, I agree with the others, don't be afraid to charge. She requested the job, sounds like you followed her guidelines to the best of your ability. If you sold her a dog and it smelt like a dog and she didn't like it would you give a refund? O.k., maybe not the best of analigies but you get what I'm saying.

3. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

A picture of the mulch would be good for us but I'm pretty sure I know the type you are reffering to. Very natural, stringy almost look to it? Kinda has an earthy smell to it?

I don't use much of it, the town does. It doesn't have a manufactured smell like some of the died mulch does and it does a better job decomposing and adding to the flowerbeds then the larger "stick" like mulches.

4. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently dont have a picture, but they make it with a blend of compost in it. So I believe that is where the smell is coming from. Like mentioned before, its like a earthy smell though. Thanks for the input.

Lasher

5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

It's more of a useful mulch then a dyed pretty mulch some ppl like.

6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I second that. For any job where I have to buy supplies (mulch, sod, rocks) I always require half up front and make them sign a contract. Never do any work without a contract. Just in case they try to screw you.

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

You did the job, Get paid for your work, next time give them the samples, hope you had any signed contract for working for her this season?

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Miscomunication. She was thinking bark nuggets you were thinking fine mulch. Baggies work well lets you know what they are thinking. Also allows you to upsell instead of settling on a low grade mulch. Mulch always smells so does bark at least for a few days and sometimes longer.
    Bill her full amount and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would bill her and try to reason with her about using your judgement ......then if she says she wont pay ...tell her that you have no choice but to repossess what is rightfully yours. But wait till her new mulch is installed.

10. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

hell yea bill her azz then drive past her house in the middle of the night with some roundup :waving: