customer not paying. can you report to cops for theft of services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by milo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking of reporting them for theft of services. anyone ever do this? any info good

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How much
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If its below the felony threshold it will probably be referred to civil court. Most jurisdictions do not consider mowing as a service under that law. Usually they are referring to public utilities.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. milo

a neighbor told me I should just go to my local magistrate and file for court. is that what you do?

5. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

cant do it in canada, ive checked lol going through small claims court now, and annoyed at the $75 fee to file a claim

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How much are you talking about
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

PA LAW Theft of services (read and see if it fits)

ยง 3926. Theft of services.
    (a) Acquisition of services.--
    (1) A person is guilty of theft if he intentionally obtains services for himself or for another which he knows are available only for compensation, by deception or threat, by altering or tampering with the public utility meter or measuring device by which such services are delivered or by causing or permitting such altering or tampering, by making or maintaining any unauthorized connection, whether physically, electrically or inductively, to a distribution or transmission line, by attaching or maintaining the attachment of any unauthorized device to any cable, wire or other component of an electric, telephone or cable television system or to a television receiving set connected to a cable television system, by making or maintaining any unauthorized modification or alteration to any device installed by a cable television system, or by false token or other trick or artifice to avoid payment for the service.
    (1.1) A person is guilty of theft if he intentionally obtains or attempts to obtain telecommunication service by the use of an unlawful telecommunication device or without the consent of the telecommunication service provider.
    (3) A person is not guilty of theft of cable television service under this section who subscribes to and receives service through an authorized connection of a television receiving set at his dwelling and, within his dwelling, makes an unauthorized connection of an additional television receiving set or sets or audio system which receives only basic cable television service obtained through such authorized connection.
    (4) Where compensation for service is ordinarily paid immediately upon the rendering of such service, as in the case of hotels and restaurants, refusal to pay or absconding without payment or offer to pay gives rise to a presumption that the service was obtained by deception as to intention to pay.
    (b) Diversion of services.--A person is guilty of theft if, having control over the disposition of services of others to which he is not entitled, he knowingly diverts such services to his own benefit or to the benefit of another not entitled thereto.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

In FL if the locals won't get involved you always have the option of filing a complaint with the States Attorney Office for a ruling. I have sent a few bouced checks that way since its taken very seriously here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. milo

its only $170. I am in business for 15 years and ALWAYS get paid.

10. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

not worth the effort IMO as much as it stinks to say.