customer not paying. can you report to cops for theft of services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by milo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TigerElectrical

TigerElectrical LawnSite Member

Lien laws vary by state. In some states the lien is only for a year or two and then it must be brought to suit or let go. I personally use a lien when there is a for sale sign in the yard.

2. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my own way of taking care of the pos customers that won't pay :)

3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

So, I have one that owes $32 for example.. approacing 3 months. He won't pay, no reason.. said he already paid by credit card.. no record of it. no brainer there, i know he hasn't paid me, already checked the merchant account, customer won't check his bank records... Do you send people to collections over these small amounts? Part of me says NO, because what if i get a bad review online because i pi$$ed one guy off over $32.. it would hurt the business to get negative feedback of course, and i would lose more than $32 in potential business. But, when do you draw the line? I mean IF i didn't persist on every person that owed me small amounts, i'd let go alot. I guess this is the other part of the business i just suck at. Collections.. I checked the mail today, nothing but junk mail again.. no checks. I threw the damn mail all over the street and went back in the house.. lol. thats how irritated i am lately, i have people who should have paid me by now.

4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to being self employed. And a lawn guy at that. Your just a lawn guy, they can pay you when-ever their little heart desires. :drinkup:

5. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't chased money since 2009. No money no mow!!! Everybody pays a month in advance.

6. TigerElectrical

TigerElectrical LawnSite Member

This is not my business but it seems like it would be to your benefit to do a recurring credit card charge. You charge the account, it is approved, you mow.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yeah, see I really disagree with this.

Angies list and others can post all about "bad contractors"
    But contractors can't look up "bad customers"?

Before the internet was popular, there was a 'verbal blacklist' in Fairfield county, Ct.
    Every one knew which customers were the dead beats and run-arounders.
    Well, at least everyone I knew, knew.