Customer Notification

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Kgrebs, May 6, 2004.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

What methods are people using to notify their customers of fertilizer or pesticide applications? Signs, flags?

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Better do whatever your own state requires under your licensing.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there is "notification", and there are the flags. notification is where you notify your client of the approx application date. here it is a two week window. for example: dear mrs smith, we will be applying an application of dimension to your lawn. this is a one time application to be applied approx april 1st-april 15th. product information must also be sent with this notice. the flag is to notify others in the area that a pest is being applied.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Kgrebs,
    We're also in MA. The yellow 'pesticide application' sign MUST be placed on any/every lawn that you apply a pesticide too.

You must call the customer first if they request that.

Every customer must receive the pesticide bureau's consumer notification sheet. This sheet must be given to every customer, every year.

Of course you MUST be properly licensed and insured to apply any pesticide for pay.

http://www.state.ma.us/dfa/pesticides/

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, I give completion dates (weather dependant) in my contract. Then, since I'm strictly commercial, I don't really have anyone to notify to get the dog off the yard.

I put flags at every "common sense" entrance to a property, ie., sidewalk corners, areas where I know people have smokebreaks, areas where people climb through fencing for shortcuts.

After the application each customer gets a "Pesticide and Fertilization Application" record as deemed by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. This shows what I put down, brand name, active ingredient, etc, a map of where I put it down, the weather conditions, date, time, location.

Takes as much time to do paperwork as it does to apply sometimes.

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

good points, reminds me of stuff I left out that is also law in MA.

Must leave applicators name, license number, date & time. Products used & its target.

Must leave the words "MA dept of Food & Agriculture recommends the sign (yellow pesticide sign) stay posted for 72 hours".

Must leave recommendations-ie. stay off the treated lawn until product has dried-4 hours

Water product into lawn....do not water for X hours (basicly whatever the label states for recommendations)

We do not have to pre-notify like in New Jersey (unless your treating school grounds/sport fields)
    we do not have to draw a map like in Minnesota

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Florida Might have the toughest test to pass in the nation but you Northeastern have too many hoops to jump through. We just stick a flag in the yard after treatment.

Only those individual who register with the state and have a doctors approval must be notified of a pending application. We must give them 24 hours notice. I am lucky because in my little town we don't have anyone on the chemical sensitive list any more.