Customer numbers, how do you do them?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DynaMow, Feb 14, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

How do you assign customer numbers?
    Do you different categories, like mowing clients, cleanups, snowplowing, mulch/maintenance etc?
    I know some have software that dictate customer numbers, do they give categories? how do they number inside of program? just numerically?

here is what i am trying to do.

M05033
    M05034
    M05035 / M= weekly mowing account / 05 = year gaining customer / 035 = numerical number for each client

C05033
    C05034
    C05035 / C= cleanup accounts / 05 = year gaining customer / 035 = numerical number for each client

S06012
    S06013
    S06014 / S= snowplowing accounts / 06 = year gaining customer / 014 = numerical number for each client

but then some fall under more than one category, but I also see importance of separating these accounts out.

What do you think?
    Sean I bet you got a good answer for this.
    I use excel at this point (do not need anything else at this point in my career, so please do not suggest that, that will come in time) and I want them to be self generated, which I can do I just need the best numbering system.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How many customers do you have?? You can probably keep all your customers straight in your head...

With Gopher you can categorize your customers if you want. I use a simple account number system, I started with "1" and went up from there :)

3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

well i can see that we have different ideas of business structure. I do this for tracking purposes, study of business growth, so on and so on, business history. But I see that this is not a structure you use.

I can not track in my head. In three years I have had over 300 customer contacts and over 150 that I have done work for. I guess I am not the mental genuis that you are.

THEN WHY DID YOU GIVE AN ANSWER IF YOU ARE NO HELP OR NOTHING USEFUL TO SAY!

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

My customers are just numerical and by ZIP code, personally I really don't need a "special" # like that. My software does enable me to arrange thm in several ways, your software should do the same.

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

why not try using a regular number which could include date gained etc. Then add a seperate column called something like class and use codes like m for mowing, c for clean up. you can have more than 1 code in the class and change the codes as needed. this way the customer number is always the same and you can use the class to see the different services.
    you will get confused if you use more than 1 customer number per customer.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It's a neat idea, but I think it's overkill and will be more confusing than anything. What happens when the mowing clients wants chem apps or when the cleanup clients want aerations and overseeding? I have had a tough time grouping my clients and I use a industry specialized software (Lawn Monkey). I love my program. I can do a search of who used aeration services between October 1 to October 31, 2002. Within a particular zip code, between a range of dollar amount and so forth.