Customer owes me $88.00 is it worth the hassle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

So I had this customer, she was renting a house and I guess was suppose to maintain the property herself. She hired me, we did a cleanup, mulch, and regular maint. Not bad for a renter...always paid etc. Anyway this yard was tiny Im talking 3.5 passes with my 48 and I ran around the outside with a trimmer, blew everything off...said and done in no time really, and it was right by a couple of my other accounts so I didnt move the truck. So this account wasnt that bad since she had us do the cleanup and mulch...it was money. So she canceled her service because of my dog pile letter. I sent her a letter, okay watever, (that was another issue, please dont bring it up again) she requests I send her the last bill. I send it, nothing, send the second one....the third one I lessin the time to pay and threatin to charge intrest. Comes back that the place is vacant.....she apparently moved out...The bill was $88.00....is it worth tracking her or the property owner down for the money or will I spend more money in time spent doing this and gas and other expenses....just yalls thoughts.

Jeff

2. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

You are probably out the $88. If you had a contract you could take her to court, but you will have fees that may or may not be recovered. She was not the property owner so I don't think you can take any action against the property. One longshot would be to go to the property owner, discuss the situation, and maybe get some compensation out of the deposit if there was any. But since it wasn't the property owner's responsibility for maintaining the lawn, they may tell you you are out of luck.

Good luck.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

What is your time worth? Do you have the time?

If you do teach her a leason, she will only do it to others if you dont act.

You decide, is it worth your time and knowledge?

4. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like you may be out a couple bucks, I do not think it would be worth your time or money to even try to recover it.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

$ 88 ? Thats like a tank of gas, not even worth the time to start the thread. Let the Karma handle things, spend your time making money not chasing a ghost.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can find out if she has moved in the same town. Then go get her.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would go after the money and it can be done cheap. www.olddebts.com is a real collection agency that will, at your option, track her down, send her collection letters, call her on the phone and put the debt on her credit record. Simply put the fees on her bill. I and others here at Lawnsite have hade good success with collecting old debts with them.

Sometimes I think it would be an excellant idea to do a credit check on customers before we set up a credit account. I think I'm going to check into that and see how much trouble it would be.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If your small it can cost some. I'd like to see(its been talked about before) a system that we can use to weed out the dead beats. You enter there name and Pow! you owe two lco
    s money --- seeya ---

9. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

You live in Jersey and can't collect?? Isn't there a "waste management family" you can contact? :laugh:

But seriously I'd put her through the hassle of a legal collection - sue her!

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep sending the bills out you might get lucky.