Customer paver package

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CHC, Jul 25, 2001.

1. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

We are putting together a product package to give to our paver customers on completion of their project. Things like a small bottle of Roundup for weeds, paver cleaner, etc, as well as a small brochure explaning paver care & upkeep. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Why not include a costs for cleaning and sealing pavers? Could be a nice add on in 90 days:)

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm with Paul - it IS a nice add-on, and something you can send a more junior person to take care of.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Sounds like a great idea. After installation, most people do not understand that pavers need to be maintained, at least to some level.

The idea of a instructional care booklet would be very beneficial. Subjects such as sweeping sand in the cracks every year, spraying round up/pulling weeds, NOT using rock salt in the winter, etc. etc. need to be discussed. Often, you are forced to make a return trip later on because of issues like this. If a letter can help prevent this, even only a few, it would pay off.

I would also include information on efforfescence (the reason why pavers get a white, powdery color to them after installation). I am always asked why the pavers don't look like the 'ones they saw in the brochure' and have to convince people it is normal. I have a article somewhere that I always wanted to copy and hand out.

Also, some info on different types of pavers could be included. For example, if a tumbled paver is used (ones with larger gaps between them), perhaps a note should be made that weeds and sand washout WILL be a re-occuring problem and that upkeep is needed.

I like the idea, and would probably make a complete handout, not just covering pavers, but also all the basics such as watering new lawn installs, watering new plants, etc. etc.

steveair

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait,

here's the article I was talking about, maybe of some help.
    A little on the technical side, but I think it gives a good explanation and gives you some technical 'backup' when talking to someone about why their pavers look like they do.

http://www.resiblock.com/academics.htm#benstead

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of some companies giving the customer a bag of sand with their company logo and phone number on it so the customer can sweep in more sand later on.

7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

On the above subject, do any of you have problems with a white pattern on new pavers from where they are stacked at the mfg?
    I have done several jobs where we had to wait a year to seal the pavers to get this white pattern to go away. Is it possible to clean them with muratic acid or something?

Matt :confused:

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

There is acid that can be used to clean them off, but it'll take pigment with it, too. We prefer to let the effl. come out on its own. Many sealer mfgs offer effl. cleaners in their product lines (TechniSeal, for example).

9. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input Stonehenge.

Matt

10. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Our thinking is that if we give them the stuff to do some of the upkeep with, they'll either come back for more, or they'll want someone to do it for them. Either way we're liable to get the business. Might also show that our customers are important to us.