Customer Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kgcs, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

So, I go cut this guys grass on Friday, and he is not home so I leave an invoice. The next day, Saturday, it rained heavy. On Sunday, it was sunny almost all day. Sunday night, when it was dark he gets home. (I know this because I live in his neighborhood.) Since its dark he has not seen it yet. Then on Monday he sees it for the 1st time, and he finds the invoice. He calls me up and tells me has my check and that he wants to talk to me. (almost always means bad news). So when I arrive he gives me the check and walks me through the yard. He told me that the back yard looks really great but the front yard not so much. He says it looks like it has barely been cut. I wanted to say are you stupid, your front lawn is almost all weeds and I cut it Friday and it probably grew a good bit since then especially since weeds grow faster than grass. And then he points out an area in that back yard that needs to be cut. It looks like it has not been cut in 2 years and its is swampy like. I just started servicing his prop. 2 months ago (He had a service prior) which means the people before me did not cut it also.
    Sorry for the rant but I want to know what you would do in this situation.
    By the way, I really don't want to loose this customer. I dont have very many right now.

2. kgcs

I was thinking about maybe I would cut the area in his backyard once a month for an additional $5. Im already not charging that much to begin with. How would I go about telling him that though? Also what do you think about the front yard, should I cut it shorter and hope it does not scalp and/or offer a weed program? I really want to keep this customer though. Any help would be great

3. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I would do. I have a client that has a small wooded area that they use for camp fires and "camping" right off their drive way that I mow about every other time or every time depending on how much it has grown up (almost full shade and weeds not much grass). Knock it down this first time for extra and then depending on the size of the area just weed eat it every time you mow, if it is a big area then do it every two to three weeks.

Try and get him on a weed program, cutting it lower will do almost not good or even make it worse.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Customer trick. Say something bad about what you did do to get you to do something crappy. Thinks you will then be anxious to please him and do it--cheaply or free.
    Just ignore his criticism. That was just a diversion tactic. Get the check and charge him extra for the extra work. I wouldn't risk getting stuck.

5. kgcs

That's what I was thinking about doing. Do you have any ideas for the front yard.

6. kgcs

Yeah, he has always said what a good job I do until today. Also I dont want to get stuck so I would have to do it with the trimmer which would add time so I think I should charge more also I would have to cut the front yard lower which would make me go slower so I dont hit any roots. So should I charge more for that each time to.

7. 1993lx172

Get him on a weed program of some sort. Cutting it lower isn't going to do all that much good and may make it worse.

8. kgcs

I mention that to him, do you think I also should mention overseeding to, because the grass is not all that thick either.

9. 1993lx172

I would, once those weeds die off you are going to be left with a lot of bare spots. Kill the weeds off first then dethatch to work the top layer of soil up a bit for better seed-to soil contact and aerate. Over seed it then, this part is critical, DON"T MOW IT FOR TWO WEEKS WITH A RIDER OR WB AND KEEP WATER ON IT!!! After a week you can mow the re-seeded area with a push mower then after that you can go back to using the heavier mowers.

10. kgcs

Thanks for the advice. I never really took on a project like this before though I wonder if I should sub it or do it my self.