customer problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Jul 23, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing some mulch work at this one house and I backed my truck and trailer into their driveway so I could unload the mulch and all and then the guy comes out and hes like I need you to move so I can get out meanwhile their car is on the other side of the driveway and he could have moved it himself, and I asked him to and hes like you have to move so I moved the truck but b/c i had taken some of the mulch off the back of the trailer that pushed the front of the trailer down b/c there was less weight behind the tires and when i pulled out it left this mark in his driveway cuz part of the trailer hit it left like a 2 inch by 4 inch by .25" mark. I told his wife and shes like oh don't worry about it so i didn't. I even offered to fix it for them for free, and shes like no don't worry about it so i didn't and i just got the check today for the job and they subtracted about $78 for the "driveway repair". I had done work earlier this year, a $450 mulch and edging job in the back of the house. They told me to just do the front and then let them know what they owed me. For mulch install I figured $300 and then I added only $15 for edging when It should have been at least 30 b/c i felt bad for the driveway. So the bill was for $315 and they sent a check for $237. I think $78 to fix that mark in the driveway is just not right. What would you guys do?

2. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Do they work for a major insurance carrier?? Sounds like to me they only want to pay what they want to regardless as to what is on the bill. If it were me I would send them a bill for the balance due and make sure you get paid for it. You are not a "Name what price you want to pay" lawn company!Leave that to priceline.com! It is amazing what people will try to get away with now days.I realize they may be a good customer to you or whatever the case may be, but if you are trying to run a business maybe it is time for that customer to find someone else. He is taking advantage of you being a soft hearted person.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them you want to see the $78 receipt.

4. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Sounds like to me they only want to pay what they want to regardless as to what is on the bill. If it were me I would send them a bill for the balance due and make sure you get paid for it. You are not a "Name what price you want to pay" lawn company!Leave that to priceline.com! It is amazing what people will try to get away with now days.I realize they may be a good customer to you or whatever the case may be, but if you are trying to run a business maybe it is time for that customer to find someone else. He is taking advantage of you being a soft hearted person.Let me give you an example: Try going into a restaurant and then after you get the bill see what kind of reaction you get when you tell them that you are just going to pay them what you think it was worth, not the menu price. I bet you already know the answer to that one. Charge what you have to have for doing the job. If something accidentally gets damaged offer to fix it yourself or turn it into your insurance carrier and have someone else do the repairs. Do not let the customer "take it off" of their bill.He will always find something to "take off" the bill every time you do work for him. Good Luck!!

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well sounds as though it might be a "gash"not just a mark.
    Let me get this correct in my mind.You unloaded the mulch from the back of the trailer and it made the tongue drop and hit the driveway?
    Or the front of the trailer dropped and hit the driveway?
    What you are saying makes no sence to me.If your trailer was hooked up to the hitch and on the ball,then it woulden't matter if you took weight off the back and then moved it.
    It couldent of dropped down at all if it was attached to the vehicle.Not the front or the middle or the back.........
    So now tell me what you did wrong to make the trailer hit the driveway and the truth this time please? :D

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When he pulled forward and out, it was probably sloped. When the truck went down, the bottom of the hitch rubbed.
    Now, HERE's the part I don't understand...You tell them that YOU paid for that repair, so YOU want a reciept or estimate from the company that performed or estimated it. If not, they can pay you $78.. Keep it on the bill and re-bill them. I can tell you though, you may be better to let a sleeping dog lie. If an asphalt company came out, laid some new hotpatch in there, and rolled it out, then $78. is CHEAP! On the other hand (and this is probably what happened), he just wwent to home cheapo and bought some cheap patch stuff, and tamped it in himself.
    A ruthless person would pull up at night, run over with a pick-axe, and put a HECK of a gouge in it just to say "how do ya like me now?".

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Time to lose that customer. Think of this a lesson learned for future use. I try not to waste any dollars, but for $78 I would consider the money a loss and do no more work for this customer. If the customer is your biggest and you gain a lot of work and money from them, then don't say a word and let the money go.

8. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Under most circumstances you have a right to see what you are paying for with that $78.00. This one might be better off left alone and move on. Sh*t like that happens.

9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

be sure to tack the 78 on to the next estimate.....

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

tell them you need a reciept for the patch & that it cannot be removed from the bill witout it or you have no way to claim it as a cost of business, tell them that you will give them a credit on their bill as soon as a reciept is in your tax file.