1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer push my buttons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newmoonfarm, Sep 8, 2005.

1. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

i was working one of my large accounts (nice old couple, large estate) doing a ton of detail work. the customer scheduled after his trip to to south texas for opening day of dove season.
    i hit my mark on what i try to charge time wise and then the lecture starts.
    the home owner starts telling my son how a business should operate, and proceeds to tell me i charge to much.
    i was informed he could "hire a mexican" to do the 10 hours of work we just finished for $50.00.
    i told him i had insurance. a pesticide license, and all the equipment to complete properties as complex as his. i also told him to go hire anybody he wanted to.
    at this point he told me he'd call me for pruning and pest work, but he'd be finding " a 15 year old mexican " to handle the trimming and mowing.
    i just about lost it but i just packed up, tarped the trailer load of clipping we had and split.
    what do people think, this is a hobby or what? i never have trouble with middle class customers. the well off seem to try this stuff every time i do a job. i'm just so mad.
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

didn't you know that the more money you got the more of everything you know!!! :D :D tell to let the mexican do all the work from now on cause you quit.the when the mex screws it up like F.U.B.A.R charge him double to go fix it.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The middle class knows what work is and how to value it, The well off got that way by screwing the middle class
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the exception that younger middle class is not at all aware of what real work is.

I had a customer ask me my age when I told him he replied his youngest son was same ag, made the remark it was the last generation that knew what real work was. I thought about it for a short while, I believe his assesment to be true.
  5. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

If he could have hired somebody for that amount, he would have. Don't listen to what people say, watch what they do.

I'd bet he was just angry because he COULDN'T find somebody to do it for 50 bucks.
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly right. some people just dont understand there's more to the job than just trimming and mowing, you gotta know HOW to do that trimming and mowing right in order to make it look good.

if they can find someone cheaper, fine I wont stop them, but I'll charge more to fix what the cheaper guy screwed up. THEN they'll understand why licensed professionals who have learned how do this job.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah and the poor, too, hence why they brag about hiring mexicans because the underlying idea (and you can SENSE it if they don't blurt it out as most do) is they want someone to do a LOT of work for dirt cheap.
    It ain't right, I dun work for ppls like that and haven't had a stupid comment like this in a year or two but I get them sometimes, it all depends on my mood but pissed off is ONE option.
    I think the best answer (unless you haven't got paid yet and the work is done which is when some like to stick it to ya) is to turn around and walk away.

That guy just did you a favor man, don't take it too hard, you'll be better off without him soon enough.
  8. topsites

Yeah that's the other thing. I'm sure some of you have heard the classic of 'well then I just have to call someone else' or better yet 'such-and-such said could do it for x amount (of course, less than yours)' and my classic answer is to say 'ok then you have a nice day,' and leave. You'd be surprised how many are FLOORED by this answer which tells me everything I wanted to know: They really DIDN'T have someone else, and maybe they think they were 'just' bluffing but to me, this is no game.
    Now, however, even IF they say 'Hey wait come back' or whatever, I keep right on walking because I don't work for scammers, liers, cheaters or whatever you want to call them, do NOT try and trick me into a lower rate because I will NOT work for you after that no matter how much money you think you can flash in my face.
    That's the attitude! Let's go get'em!
  9. topsites

It's not just that but your point is valid. Expand it a little and soon I see the Mexicans and anyone working for cheap is really just earning some extra cash and it is almost ALWAYS temporary - they are desperate for money and they have to do what one must do and they hate it as much as we do. Those guys are not stupid and I can assure you they must have some real tolerance to put up with that kind of crap... In some ways it may serve a FEW of them right, but for the most part it's just as wrong to do it to them as it is to do it to MOST of us (well it serves a FEW of us right as well, lol).
    So what this means is there will ALWAYS be some of them like that out there working for cheap, but they're ALL temporary so no matter who you hire, you can NEVER find someone reliable long-term, you're lucky as F*K if one of them sticks around for 2 whole years.
    Again, you get what you pay for. In this case it's like gambling, the less you pay, the more chances YOU take. The more you pay, the less chances you take because with someone like me, I'm in it for the long haul.
  10. topsites

I'm just WAITING for the next mofo who says 'but dont you need the money?' thou I haven't heard that one in some time, either. Ad in the yellow pages sure cuts out a lot of that crap, as does my attitude followed by word of mouth, who would'a thunked it.