1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer questions cleanup bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Uranus, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Got a message today when I got in from one of my customers questioning his bill for 2 fall cleanups and mowings. here is an idea of what he was charged

11-2 mowing $38.
    11-2 leaf cleanup $200. 4 man hours @ $50
    leaf disposal $15 1/2 load of leaves
    11-22 mowing $38
    11-22 leaf cleanup $200 4 man hours @ $50
    11-22 leaf disposal $30 1 full load of leaves
    Total $521.00

He's telling me that the landscaper last year billed him for one cleanup and did a touch-up for nothing. Obviously this landscaper had a history on the property and was able to give a one time cleanup price for the fall. I'm billing him for my hourly rate, mowings (grass needed mowing), and disposal fees that I had. I haven't called him back yet and was wondering how some of you have handled this in the past. What kind of problems have you encountered in the past in this situation? Thanks. I'm also going to ask the old landscaper if he could give me an idea on what he had charged them in him in the past.
  2. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I wanna find this last guy!! Seems he was in jersey too. I get that routine from a few people. They always seem to quote the last guy? Explain your hourly rate to your customer explain rising costs like gas, wages etc. Your rates seem pretty much right on, Stick to your guns and if you find this LAST GUY SMACK HIM FOR ALL OF US!!!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Your best bet with any new client is to give them some sort of ballpark on the leaves...I'm always amazed how some people don't bat an eye at a $500 leaf bill while others throw a fit over $40 (yes I had one lady blow up over that...)

Older clients know what to expect more or less.
  4. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

i have a question why did you charge them 38 to mow then 200 for leaf clean up for the same day on november 2 why not just one price. or am miss something
  5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I'm not Williams, but if his customers are anything like mine, they would like to have their bill itemized when there is more than mowing being done. I have one customer that wants the bill to show what work was done on which property and what day, billed monthly.
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of times you will find that you should just cut the customers some slack on leaf cleanups, if you mow for them all summer....
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Why did the other Landscaper not do the property this year? Was he under charging for his services and didn't make any money and decided to drop the customer or did he do half azz work and the customer drop him?
  8. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

The question back to the customer should be: Why didn't you call the last guy back to do the job this year?

You are not affiliated with the last guy so your prices may and do vary.
  9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I usually only do one cleanup unless they ask for me to do a couple. Most of my customers dont want to pay for 2 cleanups.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I get calls asking about leaf cleanup. I tell them my rate is $80.00 per hour for two guys on the property. We can do as much or as little as you want...from getting the leaves off of the grass and blowing it to the curb to cleaning out the beds and removing the leaves and taking them away. If we take them, there is a dump charge plus 1/2 hour travel time to the landfill.

Had a woman call me yesterday...I told her my rate and her reply was "oh, I cant afford that". and I saidOk, you have a great day. She called back a half hour later and wants me to give her a rough estimate of time, along with mowing, trimming, etc. Seems as though my rate is good.