Customer relations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, May 2, 2003.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I hear alot about how ol' so-n-so customer dropped me to save $5 by having a "scrub" do it and how someone lost a customer over price. As a general rule and like most things in the business world, money does drive the train. But from what I've seen, if you have a good relationship with the customer they will typically not drop you to save a few bucks.

The customer relationship that I'm talking about is simply taking the time to talk to them and get to know them when the opportunity presents itself. Notice I said "when the opportunity presents itself." Don't go knocking on their door to chit-chat or anything like that. But if you see them out in their yard or getting out of the car, grilling, etc., show them that you're interested in them as a person. I know we're all busy and I'm not saying spend 1/2 an hour chit-chatting with them, but instead spend 2-3 minutes talking to them about their concerns and interests. Things like: How's their job doing?, how's their sister that is in the hospital doing?, etc....These are just a few good examples of what I'm talking about.

I feel that much of the "relationship" part of business has all but been removed from the business environment these days. We're all so busy, in a hurry, pushed to keep expenses at a bare minimum, squeezing every penny for profit that we overlook the fact that we're all in the same boat so to speak and fail to recognize one another.

If you'll take only a few minutes to get to know your customer, you'll find that you'll lose less customers over a few bucks. I've found that those that seem to do the best in this business and have high customer loyalty are the ones that not only offer quality work at a fair price but also have good customer relationship skills.

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

To add if I could........

1) When you take this precious time you are Investing.

2) You are Buying a Perception. The Perception this customer will have of YOU. This is what they spend their money on.

3) It is not tangible, nor can you really quantify it, but it exists and you will develop it, or you will not.

So, how much Perception are we willing to spend on 'Ol low end, cheapo, just cut it'.....not much. You may have positioned yourself not to have to deal with these customers at all.

But on Mr. & Mrs. 'estate'. You may shut the mower down and talk....................or send a small gift during the Holidays. Heres where you spend some (time$$) on Perception.

"Excuse me Sir, How much does that Perception cost?"
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Most elderly Have no one to talk to So you are Important To them. Give them a minuet or two It works wonders.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

You are so correct! I've got a few elderly folks that I service that wouldn't get rid of me if another LCO offered to do it for free. That's a fact. I've done as you just said and am genuinely concerned about these people.

(I like that name. People like solutions.) It's funny that you said what you said about "perception" regarding people skills. Quick story: About 6 years ago, the company that I was working for paid big $ to send all their managers to what was then the leading, cutting-edge manager's class that was touring the nation. At any rate, the instructor (who was an awesome instructor) told us all that if there's just one thing that you'll remember from this class it's these three works: "Perception equals reality." In other words, the way someone perceives you, an event, situation, etc. is the way it really is to them - regardless if it's true or not.

Thanks guys,

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

All of the above are very true and time-tested lessons. They you retain and gain customers. It only costs you a few minutes and can help retain a customer by spending a few moments keeping the line of communications open.