1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer requests?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a PITA customer that has been a PITA since the start when I took over the contract for his lawn 8 months ago.....The problem he is giving me now is we changed our payment schedule to the 20th of the previous month and due on the 10th of the following month or a $15.00 late fee will be assesed....he refuses to pay on the 10th he wants to pay 30 days after the services are completed. (he claims how can I pay for stuff that hasent been done )

Thats not my problem my problem is this joker wants a detailed schedule as to when all of HIS services will be done 12 months of the year...whats put down and when AND!! What brand of this and that and how much of this brand and so on.....Now I wouldn't mind doing that for a customer that has a contract that im actually making good money on but this guys contract is a joke...its not actually making money on my route this one is just filling up space. Now when I mean filling up space my schedule is nowhere near full so its a pleasure to have this yard minus the headache.

How would you go about making or NOT making a schedule for him ?? do you charge ? do you make a stink about it or do you set aside the hour or so and just do it? Now he wants a custom list as for his yard not for general joe schmoe use...he wants the exact # of gallons and pounds of fert used ect....:gunsfirin

To me if I have another acount to replace his I would but I dont so getting rid of this one is kinda iffy.:dizzy:
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

All material shall be installed in a workman like manner at a time to be determined by contractor. Contractor to determine what will be the best product for clients property at time of install. If clint refuses the above the contractor has the right to tell client to kiss his azz!
  3. McCarty"s

McCarty"s LawnSite Member

Very Simple. Everything single - item / thing he wants requires your time and effort, charge accordingly. I would give him an itemized list of every detail he wants. Track your time compiling this list and charge him for it. Only give him the list after receiving payment or increase his overall price to reflect your time.
    I had to do this with a customer of mine. He is a PITA as well but he was willing to pay for the extra services / paperwork. His original charge was $45.00 per cut, $130 per fert and $750 for mulching. What he wanted is Country Club Service so I now provide that at $65.00 per cut, $155 per fert and $1150 for mulching. If he wants any additional services its $50 per hour start to finish (one person).
    If you PITA doesn't want this drop them. It's not worth the headache. There are far too many other customers to replace one PITA.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what Older and McCarty said, All PITAs get charged accordingly
  5. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Use a sliding scale:

$45 to mow
    $65 to mow & you watch
    $85 to mow & you supervise
    $105 to mow & you criticize
    $125 to mow & you help

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge him for your time. Also, beware that he might be trying to learn your program so he can carve you out and save money by doing it himself.
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Some customers are better to be gone.
  8. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I have a question....What is a PITA? sorry for a silly question.
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

This guy sounds like a real PITA Pain in the A.....chilles Drop him and run, there are far more people out there that are easier to deal with than this jokester. By the way, how manny cc's of gasoline were you using to mow his property? How about mm's of trimmer line? Did the EPA approve the gasoline for use in a 2-cycle trimmer? Was there proper inflation in your tires at time of service? Get the point- very annoying
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

At the risk of getting edited..... PITA means Pain In The Butt (A$$)

Now for your PITA .... DUMP HIM

I send out my bills, all of my bills on the 25th of the month and they have until the 10th to pay me. Period, unless they have a problem.

For instance, have this guy who had to have me. I have been mowing 6 house on his cul da sac for four years. Same day every week MONDAY! So he want me to change his cutting day to later in the week. I tell him no can do I cut that area on Monday's as he is well aware. So got his check and a note saying he is terminating our services. No problem for me cause I am not changing days. Oh and his account paid $115 per month.