1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer returned my calls only to complain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Sharks, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I had called this customer 3 different times in May to talk to her about issues around her yard (left messages for her to call me back) and she finally calls me back today to complain about stupid stuff including how i should have left a detailed message about her lawn issues( i thought i was being professional by being discrete and just telling her to call me). Here's what she said, i noticed that the grass around the pond is growing out and it looks like you havn't been cutting it, I reply we have had a lot of rain lately and the water level has raised up so much that i cannot get any closer to your pond then i already am with my mower as a matter of fact ma'am i have already had to pull my mower out of your pond 5 times in the past month & 1/2 because i was trying to get closer. she says well its getting thicker, i reply their has always been a 2' to 3' thick band of grass & black mud around your pond that was their before i ever started mowing you lawn (because that's as close to the pond as anyone has ever gotten)and as i stated in my agreement i would get as close to your pond as i could with my mower then she replies "cant you weed whack it" well yes but that's not in our agreement and you have at least 1/4 of shore line on that pond and it would take off the top of my head about 2 men & 8hrs to complete. she then went on asking me if my mower blades were broke then complaining about high and low spots on her lawn and i tried to tell her "all the rain" we are getting rite now and the Florida sunshine will make your lawn grow like crazy "well i want it level". This is coming from a person who never runs their irrigation & 7 months out of the year the yard is dead!! she needs to be thankful it's growing! Anyways what I'm trying to get at is their something i can rent to mow that grass around her pond instead of line trimming it for hours on end?? Sorry for the long winding, it just drives me crazy when you call to talk with someone and when they finally call you back they tell you well you should have left a message about what you wanted instead of telling them to call you. HUh??? and then complaining about something thats not even in our agreement and they know it. Crazy people thinking that if they complain they'll get something done for free. :cry:
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The best defense is a good offense. Like when you complain to your wife about something and she says to cook your own dinner:laugh::cry:
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

tractor with highway mower on boom on side of tractor.

or tractor with several foot sickle mower on side.

just don't go putting the tractor in the pond unless you have bigfoot flotation tires.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Here an idea.

Dump this one.

If it is a customer that does not care, except to complain, and the yard is half rear-end, get rid of it....
  6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I'd make sure she's paid up current or you might find yourself with your pud in one and a unpaid invoice in the other. They do make a mower that hovers, I've seen them in trade mags and websites. I think there made in Australia but have US distributors. Do a google serch might help you.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Some yards just ain't worth it. These are not the type of clients that anyone should want to have.
  8. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i dropped a yard early on this season that paid 50 because the guy called complaining after about the eighth mowing, over something not in agreement i wouldn't even talk to him about it clearly a pita, told him it would be best to get someone else

he also had these two overfed dogs and .....................i was going to drop him anyway, to much time under the deck scraping crap out.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

HOLY cow,,,, you call your Customers ?

If a customer calls me I drop them.....

Just dropped one yesterday because she allways calls and says it's my day today when are you comming out........

10. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i had a customer for weeding and things that would call me and leave a message like call me in the morning at 8, and at 7 she would leave another message mad at me she called not exaggerating 8 times over the weekend.

first thing monday.............DROP.