customer running over equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonp, Oct 14, 2000.

1. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

One of my customers was in a hurry leaving but i was at her house before she got home, She pulled up beyond my truck and trailer. Well when she left she looked back i guess but she drives one of those yukons that sit up high and could not see the trailer. Ther funny thing is she did not stop and say nothing about it. It bent up the fender well alittle bit nothing major, I didnt get a look at her yukon though. I think im going to start parking on the road from now on. Jus wondering if any of you guys everhad something like this happen to u.

2. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

my helper parked the turf tiger in the driveway of a yard we were doing and the stupid lady backed out from under the carport and backed into it-didn't even scratch it-but it knocked a hole in the bumper of the new licoln she was in.the bad thing she never apologized,she just said-i never look when i back up-don't park there anymore.i just wonder how many little kids she has buried behind her house she has done backed over-this is a very busy neighborhood with kids and she doesn't even look before she backs up.some people are so careless.

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

last time i checked hit and run was a serious crime ...and i bet if it was turned around you would have paid for it i think i would a least say some thing and show her what she did to her truck for proof.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would note too her what she did! If the tables where turned and you hit her Yukon what would she do? I would let her know ASAP.

5. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the others. You should IMMEDIATELY let her know about the damage she caused to your truck/trailer. Maybe she didn't know she hit something and later saw some damage to her Yukon and was completly baffled. This may help to open her closed eyes. I mean, the ludicrousy of her NOT seeing your trailer. Man. Sounds like she may be a danger on the road as well. Is she elderly or just blind?

stICK-nine

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i agree with the others on letting her know if u havent already. also how about cones? im sure putting cones out would also help insurance factor??

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its inexcuseable that she did not even stop and talk to you. I personally have never had this happen but I think you should have said something to her. I know its not always possible but I try and stay on the road and avoid backing into customers driveways. I am not sure of the laws but technically you are on private property. She has to be liable somehow but I think you would be protected more (legally) if you were parked on a public road. Good Luck.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer back over a JD 14PZ push mower one time. She paid for the repairs to it and it left a nasty little crinkle in front of her rear tire. Now she backs into her driveway so she can see where she's going when she leaves.

9. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

PERHAPS ITS POSSIBLE THAT SHE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE THE IMPACT. A YUKON IS A FAIRLY BIG VEHICLE AND IF SHE ONLY HIT THE SHEETMETAL FENDER OF YOUR TRAILER THE FORCE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN NOTICEABLE. ANYWAY DWF IS DANGEROUS FOR EVERYONE.(DRIVING WHILE FEMALE)LOL...JUST KIDDING LADIES.:)

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When I use a piece of equipment, I use it until I'm done with it and then it goes back on the trailer. I also park on the street, not in their driveway except for one. It is on a narrow main road and the customer just put in a new concrete drive way with a place for me to park my stuff.