1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer said leaf rate was two high

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 13, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

One of my regular mowing customers wanted me to do leafs so I quoted $25 per hour per guy with a total of 2 guys, so $50 an hour. I Will be using a giant vac 8hp push blower and an eb630 for the job. He said my rates were two high as a neighbor had carpentry work done for $30 an hour for a total of 2 guys. He is telling me what dates to mow and when to do the clean ups and he has no idea I gotta pay for equiptment and the whole deal. What am I sposed to do. Granted I am only 16 and he said he should not have to pay a teenager that much. To me its all a matter of equiptment you have.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Don't do the job. Tell him to hire his neighbor's carpenter to blow leaves, since its cheaper.
  3. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

25 dollars a head is exactly what i charge too for leaf clean up. so let that custamer clean his own yard.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

this burns my ass :angry:

steve- i am 16 as well, you have no idea how many times i have heard "your young, i shouldnt have to pay you that much." WHO CARES? Its irrelevant, wether in 16 or 160 years old, my age does not reflect my quality or work.

as far as your situation goes, dont do the job for pennies. you dont need the hassle, explain to him that you are a business, and you have rates which must be met, or services will not be completed, simple as that.

dont ever let other judge you by your age, it means very little at best.
  5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I charge $55 per man hour, but never tell the customer that.
  6. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what I would do!
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just stick to your guns, if that is the price, then that is the price
  8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Don't back down. I'm sick of customers looking down on us because we cut grass. Just tell them what I do. You run a legitimate business, and just like any other legitimate business you have expenses.
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Stick to your guns, if he doesn't want to pay too bad, tell him to find someone else. I try not to tell customer my hourly rate, most freak when to the lawn guy makes more per hour than they do. They don't understand how much it costs us to run a business like this. I had a regular ask for a quote last year, quite a few leaves, open yard surrounded by hedge. I told her $200-$250, she said she that she couldn't believe with all the equipment I had it would cost that much. I asked her how she thought I pay for the equipment, guess she thought I just do this for the fun!!!! :dizzy:
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Ask him how much the carpenter's hammer cost then tell him how much your blower cost. Then walk away.
    Lesson to learn price the complete job but remember that if you charge $50 and are only thee for one hour he will expect every single leaf to be picked up. Set your Standards down before you start the job.