Customer said my estimate was way off... whats your input

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Johnny H, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Since u r new, here is some quick free advice. If you do cut him, lets say you start april 15, make sure you bill him now for the april 15th date. That way, if he chumps out, you will know in advance. In the past, I have dealt with slow payers. The following year, I did just what I said and I can tell you that people are less llikely to jump ship when they have paid for the month in advance. I can also tell you that 90% of my customers are a month in advance and no questions asked.

Good luck
  2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

You need to walk away from this guy asap. I'm not sure of the rates where you are, but you are way under priced for 28,000 sq feet. I would tell him that after you re-worked his estimate that you discovered an error in that you under estimated and will have to add another $130.00 to the original estimated price
  3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Hang in there with your price!!!! The customer sounds to me like he's gettin' "practiced up" for his annual vacation to Tahati, Mexico----"No can pay you that price!!! You come-zee down-ee and we talk-ee talk-ee!!!!":laugh:
  4. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

well do this stake out his house and when the (OTHER GUY) come call the cops and report his ass and tape him too. comes in good in the court. he needs to have some kinda training/licenses to do that for other people. with out it you can run in to BIG troble and pay LOTS OF MONEY and jail time or thats how it is here in ohio. i have looked it up trust me if he is doing it for $100 2 things could be happing

1. he could be stealing the stuff

2. he has no training on this and is just doing it to make a couple bucks

but any way my thought is find out who he is and turn him in. good luck with that
  5. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

i think his time could be better spent than turning lowballers in

but for the record THERE IS NO OTHER GUY!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

WOW...jail time in Ohio for seeding and ferting??? I bet shoplifting fetches the death penalty :rolleyes:
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Why does he want YOU to do it? I think its because he either cant find anyone or they are more than you are. My experience tells me to either let this one go or get advance payment.
  8. jerryo

jerryo LawnSite Member
    from nj

I learned to price by square ft. for seed 18 cents a square, and sod 65 cents
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Moneys' GOOOOD in Jersey!
    Jerryo- you're gonna get 5k to seed an acre? WOW!!!!!!!!!
  10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, my math is wrong, forgive me.
    Its been a long day.....
    $72.00/ acre.
    Sounds more realistic.
    My fingers were punching in the numbers quicker than I could comprehend dollars and cents. I guess I better not try to do any billing tonight! LOL