Customer said, stop mowing...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Apr 18, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I started and got about 1/2 done with this lawn. The customer comes out and says stop mowing. I need to rake my lawn before you start mowing. I explained I was cleaning up the lawn by mulching. She said no thanks stop mowing till I call you. So, i told her because the contract says weekly mowing i would have to charge for the stop. She said, OK but from now on i will call you when i need my lawn cut. how would you handle this customer?.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Everybody's situation is different, but I know we would drop her at this point in our business. You can't wait around for a customer to call you.
    Not only will she most likely let the grass get too high before calling, you will be wasting gas having to drive over there just for her account. If you want to keep her, then you need to explain to her that she needs to be put on a schedule once a week, on such and such day. If you let every customer dictate to you how to run your business, you'll be in a fine mess.

3. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

I'd let her know that if she wants a nice healthy lawn she should mow it every week. Then every week she waits to call you the initial price goes up.
    After that if she doesnt realize how you have to keep a schedule and tight routes I would drop her.

:blob3:

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto that.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

double-ditto that.

although let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I had one of those last friday. one of my little old lady original customers called and wanted some leaves moved before I mowed and she said she couldn't find anyone to move them.

the wind had piles them up in a small pile over the winter.

I knows I don't rake leaves so she asked if I knew any high school kids that would move them for money. I got a chuckle out of that one.

to make a long story short, I blew the leaves into the woods. it took 10 minutes and I charged her 10 bucks.

it wasn't the $10 bucks that I was after. I just wanted to get'er done so I could mow.

GEO

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Does she not understand what a "contract" is?. Since she had the audacity to say "Ok, but from now on I will call you when I need my lawn cut", I'd say "ok, but you'll still be billed for weekly cutting".

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with Jodi here. Ive had customers that were on the schedule for wed. wed comes and the yard could hold for another week (dryer times), well on thurs or friday we would get a good rain and then they call on Sat and need it mowed.I explained to her that I had other people to cut on Sat and that she had passed on her weekly cut because it was dry.
    Any way this customer was a pain in the butt and after 2 months I finally stopped going, she cancelled a wed mowing and then called friday morning wanted it cut, I wonder if she ever got it cut??????? lol I never went back

8. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Explain to her the meaning of the contract, explain to her that you are on a schedule. If she gives you too much of a problem, DROP DROP DROP

9. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the comments. i'll explain the contract to her and if she still insists on how i should run the biz then i will drop. besides i got another customer signed up on the same route.

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot...