Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering how many people use the phrase "customer satisfaction guaranteed" in their marketing materials.

It seems to me that it would provide a lot of reassurance to those who has been dissatisfied with their service provider in the past and could really boost sales.

Of course, it could open up all sorts of nightmare possibilities for those customers who never seem to be satisfied. Would it be worth it?

Your thoughts and experiences please.

2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I don't like guarantees in this business because there are too many uncontrollable factors. The customer themselves depend alot on what our results are in some instances. If they don't water properly and the y are displeased with the way it looks they like to blame us for their lack responsibility. Same as fertilization, some people won't use a program but want their lawn weed free. And landscaping, people are too lazy to water new plants and expect them to survive and when they don't, who do they blame, us. These are just things i have dealt with in the past and why I stay away from guarantees because so much is out of our control. I can see where your service you could guarantee as being guaranteed to be quality work, but then if it's not in the first place they will find someone else anyway, so if you r work is that good, you have nothing to worry about. I just don't see as a marketing strategy that people would really be persuaded by guarantee on mowing service because they will pick you by seeing your work or by referrals 90% of the time. Just my thoughts.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

"Your complete satisfaction is our goal."

Something like that could save you from some of the nightmare customers. Some would never be satisfied and the callbacks could really hurt you. Good luck.

4. Darryl G

Parkerlawn - Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of...getting blamed for stuff that isn't my fault.

TurfGuy - I like that!

Actually, my goal is to delight my customers...but I'll settle for satisfying them.

5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Darryl,

100% Money Back Guarantee!

I've used it for 18 years, over 500 commercial and residential accounts with over a million dollars billed, and have never had a problem....

Every business needs a "unique selling proposition"... (What seperates you from the others?) A satisfaction guarantee is one way to overcome fears, objections, seperate you, and offer a risk-free opportunity...

Good thread....

Clay

6. Good question and a perfect tactical response by TurfGuyTX. ParkerLawn is right, there are just too many uncontrollable factors to offer a satisfaction guarantee and assure yourself a profit. In addition, some customers don’t like me getting $35 for 30 min of work, and would love to have tool like that to make me “work for my money.” Which would of course make it harder to hold the schedule and put pressure on maintaining high levels of detail at all the other accounts.

I've tried to avoid "blanket verbage" like that in my flyer, and TurfGuyTx's approach is the best so far, but I'd still rather not even mention it. When pushed for a response, "Complete satisfaction is my goal."

It's kind of like the "Senior Discount." Shoot, many of my clients are sitting on more money than I'll make my entire life. It's insanity for me to give them a blanket discount. I'll adjust the price as I see fit.

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I advertise "satisfaction guaranteed."

However, during talks with clients about fert applications, weed control, seeding, etc. I let them know what their end consists of (e.g. must water seeded areas). I also tell them I use top of the line products that produce good results.

My written "Fescue Granular Program" information that I hand a client says (I'm paraphrasing a little here) "enrollment in a lawn service does not guarantee a "picture perfect" lawn.....it requires a joint effort between the lawn service and the customer." Then, go into detail about what needs to be done in the joint effort.

On my "Lawn And Tree Care Estimate" I have printed "we guarantee all of our workmanship, but results of our services cannot be completely guaranteed because of the elements of nature."

Also, the "Customer Service Call" literature I leave on their door after I finish tells them what work/application was done. Example:

"Your lawn has just received its first application containing balanced fertilizer, crabgrass pre-emergent, and broadleaf herbicide.......water in this application before mowing (if possible, water in the morning)......mow your lawn as needed so that you do not remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade.....keep mower blades sharp."

In other words, if I do my job and they do theirs everyone will be happy. I'm just putting it in writing to them so they are informed and there's no confusion.

One incident I had recently - I seeded about 1,500 sq. foot for a lady & the day after I finished it rained BUCKETS for 7 days straight & right in the middle of it we had two days worth of 80 mph winds!! Needless to say, the seeded area was a wreck. Nobody could have predicted that weather. So, without the client asking, I got in touch with her and then went back and re-did it free of charge. No big deal. It was an easy decision to make on a small job. Some seed, a bail of hay and a little time = a happy client.

8. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Our Company catch phrase:

"Specializing in Customer Satisfaction!"

9. Darryl G

Well, there are enough positve comments for me to give it a try on my next add run. I don't think I'll go as far as Clay with his money back guarantee...but since I've never had a dissatisfied cutomer, I'm confindent that the postives will outweigh and negatives.

Interesting that although there are some sceptics, none have tried this approach.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I think this maybe a good idea but you will always get the customer who wants everything for free and is never satisfied. This customer is the exception and will totally take advantage of this phrase but if you are prepared for a few bad apples this might be a good marketing technique.

Gravely_Man