Customer says "It's your problem !"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Lawn@Landscapes, Oct 2, 2003.

1. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I went to mow a customer yesterday. I mow her every 10 days. She WAS a sweet little old lady. A quick $30 on my way from one place to another. Well there is some damage on her vinyl siding that she claims I did. She was not home when I mowed that time. She claims to have noticed it 2 days later. She did not call me. She waited to tell me in person 8 days later. First of all, her house is about 15 feet from the road and she does not exactly live in Knots Landing. She is 100 feet from a school and a playground. Kids are all around her street. She says I hit it with the front of my mower. I bring the mower over and show her thats impossible. Then she says I hit it with the side discharge shoot. I show her again impossible. She then says I hit it with my string trimmer. My self and the employee that was with me have more than 15 years exp each. Neither of us have ever hit and shattered siding. I think I would have known as I was the one trimming that week. My insurance agent laughed at me. Said the carrier will ask when it happened, how, who and I honestly dont know. He told me that people will often blame things on insured businesses because their homeowners insurance has a deductable. It could have been a pellet gun, skateboard, or a foot. My problem is that what happens next week when her window is broken or her mailbox gets hit. I dont need the customer or the hassle. She is expecting me to fix it. How should I handle this from a legal point of view. I have no intention of keeping her as a customer or fixing the damage.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

How I would deal with the situation is file a police report on the matter. The police will come and laugh their azz off and tell the lady to get a life. After that inform the lady that you no longer want to be her LCO because of liability reasons.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you damaged it fix it.
    If you did not, explain that to her and Move on.
    I wouldn't worry about a letter from her lawyer any time soon.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If she was not at home when you mowed her yard, how does she know how the damage occured? Tell her since she was not there when it happened then she has no idea who the culprit was. What evidence does she have to prove her case? Answer...none. End of story.
  5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

okay i don't know if you saw my thread about the old man who said i broke his new was a big drawn out deal.small claims court and the whole 9 need contracts for your customers.i know theres alot of people that won't sign anything,but those are the people you don't my contracts i won't cover sidewalk,driveway patio damage.if theres damage to the house like a broken window or in your case siding.i give the customer 24 hours after any kind of services to contact me about damage.after 24 hours have past i don't know save yourself and make up contracts for your she needs to have proof that in fact you damaged the siding.she needs to call the BBB and file a complaint on you that you damaged her property and you didn't offer to fix it.well don't worry because she has no proof of any kind.the BBB will close the case up because theres no hard proof that it was you.don't worry about it and move on.
  6. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Drop her like a hot rock and move on.....
  7. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

8. She doesnt complain about getting mowed but she cares about the siding?
  9. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

"Mow the lawn, not the customer" - Mantasuni
    "unless she is hot" - Mantasuni
  10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Generaly speaking, little old ladies arent on my chick list.