customer says no 2 4 d in spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cantoo, Apr 3, 2002.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I gave a quote to a church for spraying broad leaf weeds the lawn is mostly Dandelions, I usually use Tri kill or Killex for this. The Board decided they would accept my bid but that I couldn't use anything with 2 4 D in it. Not sure how they can accept my bid then tell me what to spray but that's besides the point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could spray on it? I live in the sticks and have to have anything other than Killex special ordered or I have to drive a couple of hours to pick it up. The property is covered in trees so the grass never has a chance to grow and get thick, they won't water the lawn and overseeding is too expensive and in my opinion a waste of money in this case. I really don't care if I get the job or not at this point, it's just that we do a few lawns for members of the church and they asked us for some help. The other local guys have already told them not worth the bother.
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Confront will also work but just take a little longer then 2,4d. What is there issue with 2,4d?:confused:
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Everyone is jumping on the no pesticides band wagon around here but they still don't want any weeds. There is a playground across the road and they are concerned about drift etc. I'm thinking I might just give the Dandelion wax bars a try. They also have a bnch of members who spend all day everyday on their own lawns watering, fertilizing, hand weeding and think the church property should look the same. They have no idea how much time they actually spend on them. The property is really weedy, last Fall when I told them it was the best time to spray they argued over it until it was too late to spray. I've tried telling them that once I get the weeds under control it will only require spot spraying.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

battleship from helena
  5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Momentum from Lesco. Hey Tremor get over here and do your job!LOL Are they going to chemically anaylize what you are using? (get my DRIFT)

6. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

If they are concerned with drift you could use a granular Trimec.
  7. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Momentum contains 50.7% Triisopropanolamine salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid.......................So you might not want to use that.

Quanity of replies do not necessarily mean quality of replies.( you even read lables?)
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Opps sorry Cantoo my bad. I use battleship but thought lesco might be closer supplier. Garry checked out your umass site, can see why you are back. Oh by the way, I am glad you are back. Just keep nippin at my heals and I might learn something. well got to go spread fert bye.

9. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Time Life puts out a great starter book called Lawns and Gardens. You really should start out there.

Hey, it has some great pictures too.

It takes guts to admit you don't know everything about a landscape (and I've got em).........................Do you?
  10. Commander

Commander Banned

They don't want phenoxy (2-4D) chemicals because they can be very harmful to old growth trees. Just ask around for a non-phenoxy herbicide, really isn't too hard to come by. I think you can use something called "3 way" but don't take my word on that.