customer says you mow too fast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metiernan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Anyone ever have customers say how they mow too fast and need to slow down? I hate it when they do that. I have a exmark 27 hp 60 inch and unless the grass is real tall or wet I can mow at whatever speed I want and the grass cuts fine. I try and explain that to the customer but they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. It is typically the older people that complain.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Older folks aren't up with the times. They live in the "5 cents for a loaf of bread" era. They probably feel like what they pay for lawn care(no matter the cost) is expensive, and they feel you are cheating them by cutting faster. They don't feel they are getting alot of for for the price they are paying. They can't help it.

3. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

people don't realize that the mowers we use are made to go fast.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Your only hope is to educate them (or try to). Most are like talking to a bag of hammers in this respect though.

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I just lost a customer who told me my guys are too wreckless. I asked her what she meant by that and she told me they go to fast and are gone in no time. The funny thing is, we cut her lawn with 21" lawnboys...

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to try mowing a couple rows going fast, and then mow a couple more next to those going slow. Make sure the client is watching, and then compare the quality of the cuts.

It's more than likely that some people don't like to see their money being spent so rapidly. Maybe what they want to see is a 21" walk behind.

7. Mowerman05

Mowerman05 LawnSite Member

Yeah, if they really wanted to gripe - I would probably do what Critical Care suggested. Then after showing that the cut quality is the same I'd point out that you're using commercial grade equipment designed to get the job done quickly while maintaining better cut quality than any cheap 21" going .00121 mph.

They should reallize that they get their quality cut at the price you're charging because you can get the job done that fast with that equipment.

I'd also point out that the less time you are out there mowing somebody's yard - it's that much less noise pollution they and their neighborhood has to deal with.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them that you charge by the hour and if they want you to slow down then you are going to have to raise their price.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did it occur to any of you they may be concerned you will fall off and hurt yourself?Maybe they are worried about you?I see what speed mowing does to lawns and it's not always good.It cant hurt to slow down enough to make the turns on all the wheels instead of just one or two.

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I often comment to my customers how a large efficient mower puts out less emmissions per yard, and that I aim to be as fast as possible on each yard to maintain better air quality for the environment! This is something that eveyone needs to consider, the most efficient ways to get jobs done in America!!!