Customer sent me a bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeswag, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mikeswag

mikeswag LawnSite Member

Please help....this has never happened to me before.

I did a lawn renovation & irrigation system for a customer this past spring. The customer requested from the city to have a separate water meter installed. The city said 3 months. I told the customer to call me when it was installed & I would connect it to the new system.

I had nothing in my contract about connecting to the new system. I had intended on billing for the new connection. However, they had a plumber connect to the new irrigation system at a charge of 750.00. They sent me a bill and expect me to pay the bill.

What should I do?

I was thinking about just sending a copy of the contract and letting them know I would not pay. Any input would be great. Thanks, mike

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

send it back to them with a thanks, but no thanks......

should have contacted you before they sub your work out.... Just tell them you would have done it for half that cost to make em feel bad as well.....

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow those people have some large balls! I would call them and tell them to go to hell! :realmad:

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

The customer made a unilateral decision to have the plumber hook up the system, that was his decision and his decision to pay that price. Send him the copy and a letter stating that . I would say you are under no responsibility to reimburse him.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Send copy of orignal contract. You said to contact you when the meter was installed right? Did they? Not apperently so why should you have to pay? I would also say that any of the work that did not pass your inspection is no longer covered under any warranty because they have modified your work before you could even finish it.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

IF you had nothing in writing about the new connection fee,or if /when it would be connected, don't sweat it.Technically, your contract was paid in full on completion, right? After payment was rendered , it is considered an agreement between both parties that the job was satisfactory and complete. They have no recourse against you for the $ 750.00, and you told them to let you know when the city had installed the meter, so they should have called instead of going over your head to a plumber. I would explain this to them, and if they can not accept the fact they are paying the bill, and not you, tell them you'll be happy to see them in court and discuss it in front of a magistrate.Just my .02...Merry Christmas!!

7. mikeswag

mikeswag LawnSite Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I take this stuff way to personally. :help:

How would you word your response?

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Please keep a watch out your window. When you see a camel fly by in the night, call me and I will send you the check.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO!!! :p

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I love that! ROTFLMAO