1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer service, is a farce

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 11, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this year, i've decided that MAYBE, just MAYBE, I COULD BE JUST A TAD BIT MORE CUSTOMER FRIENDLY. and you know what? IT AINT WORTH IT! for a small operation like i have, where there are a couple employees, and the owner works, customer service is pure nonsense. the fact of the matter is....you can take a great customer, treat them fair, run into problems, deal with it without losing money or kissing butt, and you'll still have, a great customer. BUT, if u have a pita customer, you can kiss thier butt sideways, do everything under the sun, and the only thing you'll accomplish is.....it will cost u money, and you'll still have, a pita customer. the only way commited customer service works out, is in a big operation, where you have an individual who does nothing but, deal with clients. the solo guy or small operation, should not be customer service oriented. there is simply no room for it, he needs to be hands on in the manufacturing end of it. i'm going back to being my miserable self. why not.
  2. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Um...ok, whatever works for you.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same goes for customer loyalty, it's all fine and dandy until one day you set your foot down on some issue (or basically you're not willing to bend over backwards) and wham, they run faster than we do sometimes. Right when you got it going on like I did last year, had around a half-dozen self-referred customers (you know, they all referred each other) and one of them tried to get me to agree to a price over the phone last fall (for leaves - bad move). I was nice about it, told her I'd be glad to head out there and estimate the yard so I could give her a price... Oh no, they're not bad she says, and keeps trying to negotiate. No, sorry, no can do, not me, no more. I even told her this one had been done to me one too many times lol, so she kept calling and I never answered or showed up. Well, now all her great friends are no longer customers of mine... Funny, a religious group at that.

As far as being miserable, I find I can be quite content with myself and still give no bend over treatment. I still like treating my better customers at least decent, but you're right about the pitas: once a pita, always a pita.
  4. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

:clapping: :drinkup: if your into high production then you cant play with those type of customers
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealing with it right now BG. I am able to identify the pitas earlier in the season each year I do this. I don't have time for pitas...PERIOD! They are never happy and play the victim role all the time. As you bend, you might as well keep bending the whole way.

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am reading this and laughing cuz I am one of a few LCOs in my area that offer a discount to seniors. Well, I get three referrals on the same street of 2 seniors that I currently have. Funny thing is, they are NOT seniors but they have some serious issues with back problems, disabiltiy, heart transplant. LOL, they know I am a softie and are abusing my kindness but seeing as though I charge more than the other estimates, I can bend alittle.
  7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

hey ,you can still be professional without getting sucked up in someone Else's drama:hammerhead:be part of the solution man, but then again the guys with bad attitudes make the rest of us look so damn good
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh goody...more work at lower prices....yippeeeee
  9. fredrickj23

fredrickj23 LawnSite Member

Customer srv is not a farce. you need to treat everyone a little differently. Some like it fast and hard (price now) and some like to gab a little (negotiate).
    When the gabbers are out I sent the owner who is hands-on. She likes to be visable to all of her clients. I do the majority of bids, make the company $$$. A smile and a "how are you doing today" go a very long way!
    To Liquidfast... As I say: " Do not mistake my kindness for weakness". :)
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You need to either come to my class or read my book bg...both are $299.95 each. Which is it gonna be?