Customer Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassInPA, May 5, 2003.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Alright, I know this thread might belong in with TurfDude's thread, but I wasn't sure so I started it this way. I need some advice on two customers.

Customer #1- This one I have had for 4 years now. I call her at the beginning of the season to make sure she still wants me to cut. She tells me that her grandson is going to cut it. No big deal. Small yard anyway. She then calls me back after a couple weeks wanting it mowed. Since I was stupid I went over and did it. Then, just this past week she calls me, leaves a message on the answering machine telling me she hasn't seen her grandson since Wednesday and was wondering if I could cut the grass??!!!

Customer #2- Same situation as above. This one told me her son was going to cut it instead (the son is probably 40 and has a family). But since her son doesn't like to do the hedges could I do them. She also calls me up and wants it cut the next day. When I started cutting it, she starts complaining about how short she wants it when I was mowing at 3 1/2. Then when I went to cut it again the other day, she asks me when I can come over and do some weeding :angry:

Any comments or advice on this would be greatly appreciated :angel:

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

If you are getting paid well and you can fit it into your schedule, then be happy for the work. :)

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the time and don't mind this could be profitable for you. This will not be as profitable as getting a new full service account on your schedule though. Decide if they are paying you enough to put up with the hassles.

Gravely_Man

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the books last night and I will unfortunately still be doing a few accounts that are the same way. Try nudging these toward weekly mowing. If they do not bite after your schedule is full gently let them know that you no longer can service their accounts. I also charge a couple of extra dollars for my inconvenience and let them know prior to doing any work.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they are not purchasing a program, then they do not get a program price. Charge accordingly. They get a higher price just like everyone else does, because this is the incentive to be back on the program. Just charge higher, and then it appears that being on a program has a dicount privelege.;)

6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Joe word for word.

In addition ... #1 would get a dramatic spike in price to deter her from cancelling again. She would also be put on contract.

#2 would have to sign some sort of year-round agreement for the hedges. Big increase for the lawn, and try to get her on contract fir it also. Im sure her son will be whistleing a different tune come august.