Customer Stealing Ideas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duramax99, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

We have a customer that we did a lot of work for in the Spring. A few garden installs, new planting beds, we made a couple of bucks off of him. Now he calls like he is going to sign up for more work, but now he picks our brain for ideas and has someone cheaper do the work.

Bottom line
    Next Spring would you work for him and/or raise the price for the work.
    He just wants to know in detail what we are doing
    No problem from him ever on paying.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Give him the general ideas and then tell him you can't give out your trade secrets that took you a long time to learn. Because if you did that he could just hire someone else. If he will sign a contract you will be glad to go into all the details for the project that he wants.This happens all the time to us, so its a nice way of telling them no more free advise, they won't feel bad to get turned down that way so theres no hard feelings and more likely to keep getting some work from them. If that don't work a simple FU nothing free a-hole will get the same point across but with less desirable results. :D

3. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

Simple : Charge for a plan and give them credit for that when they have you do the work.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Duramax, I learned that hard lesson about 3 years ago. Lost about $3,000+ in work because I worked the customer through exactly what I was going to do and how to do it. I did the estimate and consultation all for free back then.....not anymore.