Customer Surveys Anyone?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, Oct 18, 2007.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am in search of various examples of surveys that you send out to your clients requesting feedback on performance, etc.? Anyone else use these be willing to share their ideas?

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I send out client surveys every year with the clients final invoice, many good sugestions have come back from our clients and many times we have implemented the ideas into our business.

There are going to be those that tell you surveys are a waste of time and do nothing more then open up a can of worms but I don't think the fortune 500 companies spend millions of dollars each year on a waste of their time and money.

90% percent of all people will never complain when unhappy about a service or product, they will simply stop using that service or product. It also costs more money to obtain a new client then it does to retain an existing one.

Why not give your clients a chance to comment on your service, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. You can even use the comments and or percentages in your upcoming advertising campaign. (Example: "We have a 99% overall satifaction rating" or "Mrs Smith says XYZ lawn care goes above and beyond her expectations each and every visit").

If you need an example I can probable help out but I would also suggest picking up the ones at local fast food restaurants like Carls Jr., Wendys, KFC and others, they will get you started in the right direction.

3. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a quick simple one that I just started to use this year. I have never used one until now but it seems to be working well.

STRIPER - Send me a pm with your e-mail and I 'll send you a copy of mine.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

The most important question on your survey is: Would you recommend us to a friend or relative.

Kind of a simple "are you happy, yes or know" other questions will let you know how your are doing regarding specific parts of your business.

I picked this up at a business seminar when I was in sales.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do not have a written survey but at years' end I send out a request for the customers to respond with their input. Essentially along the lines of asking what they (the customer) would like to see from me (the contractor).
    Those that do respond are "rewarded" with either a pair of movie passes or a car wash certificate.
    And before anyones asks, no I haven't gotten any negative responses.
    Well I did have one but my ex-wife doesn't count.

6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

8. Hansen Lawns

Hansen Lawns LawnSite Member

txgrassguy I really like the idea of the movie passes and car wash "rewards". I bet the customers are certainly happy to see those AND lawn improvements!
    I was also thinking, do you send a pre-addressed & stamped envelope or leave that up to them?

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do enclose a return envelope but not the stamp.
    The envelope is already addressed with the customer's return mailing address as well as my business address.
    I have gotten more positive compliments out of this one feature than anything else as the customer's really appreciate the professional look of the return envelope. This is done for all of my billing wherein I have a correct and verifiable return address for the customer, it is already in the computer database and I haven't appreciably noticed an increase in cartridge ink use.

10. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a written survey that I used last year - but it was rather basic. I was just trying to see some others to get various ideas.

Back in my baseball playing days, Dad used to always tell me to take a little bit of information from every coach. Take what you like from each one of them, and put it together to make yourself a ball player. I always thought this was great advice, and was using that same appraoch with the survey thing.

Thanks for the help gentleman.