1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer testing your work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancutccl, Nov 19, 2004.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today from a going to be new customer, new to the area, wants me to come by his house and give him a bid. If he likes the bid he will have me do one mow, and see the quality of course. Then he said he is going to talk to other LCO's and have them do the same thing. Have any of you ran into this? Sure i've ran into people scouting prices but I've never had to compete for the job. To tell you the truth I personally would do the same thing if I had to hire out my lawn. I guess its like word of mouth advertising but the customer is seeing first hand.
  2. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Sounds like a potential PIA customer to me.Good for the homeowner just a bit of stuffing about for the contractors.
  3. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Sounds like he watched to many progressive commercials to me. Tell him that you'll gladly groom his lawn if he's willing to pay for it beforehand. What a jerk...
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sounds like a real picky pita to me, I think I would pass on the oppertunity. If he this picky just trying to find an lco he will never be happy and always find faults. Then he just call the next one that he already seen there work :dizzy:
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What's he gonna do? Call every local LCO for a "free" cut each week to say, "Sorry, I'm just not satisfied. Gonna try the next guy.." Sounds like a ROYAL PIA who thinks he can beat the system and everyone in it. Don't play that game..I would tell him, "sure for XX amount of $$, then if you're happy , it will count to the first cut. If not, too bad for him and you're not out any time / $$...It takes all kinds of morons in this world, huh??
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If he's a home owner then it sounds like one of a couple of things,1.He's a lawyer and you don't want to take that on or 2. a business exec and thiis is what proceedure he is used to(not likely) or 3. Dude's a PITA and you should not be suprized when no one else will bid and you're stuck w/him. I'd say, don't sign him to a contract until you decide how he's going to act.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would tell the guy sorry, can't do the one time cut. Also tell him if another company does it, then they have too much time on their hands and probably not a good LCO.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

When someone is that wacked, its best to just thank them for their time and drive off into the sunset...
  9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

He's going to pay for one cut, but then based on how it looks decide on a contract.
  10. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Me, I think I would give him a higher estimate than normal. I would call it my PITA fee. Then I would charge him an extra 10-15% for a one time cut and call it even. If you get the contract with the extra $, then hey, it might just be worth it. But I would make sure that your contract lets you get an easy out in case things turn sour.

my .02