Customer thinks $40 per man hr is too much for young worker(25)....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MLI, Apr 28, 2002.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I had a ton of responses for these such questions....was interest in what you guys said in the past. lol....One of my responses has been ...well sir thats the going rate, and last I checked I was in biz to make money!! Another was....hmmmm okkkkk how about $50 for me seeing Im 35 and have a Hort degree...and for the 24 yr old....lets say $30!...hmmmmmmmmmm ok thats still $40 per hr Or better yet!! about all seniors, because they are older, they must be worth more, Ill bet they can lift real heavy things, and work alllllll day in the 90 degree weather. Bottom line......its pisses me off when someone thinks they can tell you how to run a biz. I wonder if these folks know that kids coming outta vocational schools are the ones working for GM and Ford....their rates are charged out at $65 per hr. for mechanical work, the list goes on and on plumbers$60 per hr, Carpenters, Electricians etc etc....funny thing is we show up with more money invested in equipment then anyother trades, our machines have a quicker turnover rate than most trades blows my mind! Any responses? too hear, because Im going toprint it out and just hand it to people that start in on the young ones. :angry:
  2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

The way it has bin for me this spring is when someone asks how much I tell my price most of the time not less than 40, They will say OK go for it me being 16 and all then i show up with my professional walk behind and trimmers and BP blowers some times with a buddy of mine who has a f 250 (I will be getting a truck soon :) ) and 20 min later we are done with the lawn and the costumer is home some come out and be like wow I cant believe you are done some of the older ones even add in a lil extra cash :D . point is some care but if not I just don't take the job but i have only turnd down 2 this year.
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Im not really even refering to talking construction ie. mulching, pruning, walks, retaining walls, planting, clean ups, design work, plantings etc etc!
  4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

$40.00 an hour seems about right.
  5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya my contract says 65 and if they are to lazy to read it they get burnt but I mostly get $40 M P H
  6. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

$40 sounds like a lot of money per hour to these people becasue most of them probably make much less. But they pay for servies at $40 per hour all the time but don't realize it. I can't think of any business in which the employee costs less than $40 per hour. I guarantee you that the fast food joints brings in $40 per hour per employee so in a sense you are getting charged that amount per hour for their services. No one could stay in business and pay all the insurance, taxes, etc. and still turn a profit without getting less than $35 to $40 per hour
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I also get about that per hour depending on what kind of service I am providing. I do not tell customers my hourly rate though..... I simply estimate in my head how many man hours it will take and multiply it by 40.....people are ok paying 500 dollars for a job....but when you tell them 40 dollars per man hour they think its insane. I feel no need to tell them what I am making an hour....they are paying for the results of my work.....not my time.
  8. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

"Sir, I'm sure you can find someone with no insurance, little or no experience, and who doesn't pay taxes to do the job for a case of beer, but we are professionals. I always recommend that clients shop for other bids because it is the wise thing to do. However, choosing a contractor based soley on price is not."

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Evan528 hit it right on. What they don't know won't hurt them! If you told them it was $18 per hr. they would probably still flip. Try to estimate the whole job, but make sure you don't undercut yourself. In reality, the customer gets the best deal when they pay per hr., they just don't think so. That is provided you don't take a break every 5 min. and throw cig butts everywhere like some contractors ;)
  10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't quote hourly rates either. I just tell them it will be $X.xx and if they want me to do it, great. Some of the most menial jobs out there end up costing people far more.