Customer thinks mowing season is over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gdguth, Sep 28, 2012.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I bet if the customer wanted to she could find anyone else right now. Push the issue and you may not like the results.
    She has your number. It is her call.
    easy-lift guy
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That's what all the ol ladies say every single year. Get used to it. Just say you were still cutting in nov. last year and this year may be longer. We'll see what happens....see ya in a couple weeks.

3. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this happen 3 times this week. The problem is the grass is really growing now after a long drought this year. We've had lots of rain. One guy has zoysia and wants me to wait till end of oct to clean up his leaves, so i didnt argue since he wants leaf cleanup. Another lady said don't cut anymore but she wants me to trim bushes and do leaves, so I didn't argue. But I can see that they are just trying to save for those services. It irritates me, and I really think people are all around evil and terrible inside, but I'll be knee deep in leaves soon enough and hopefully green too.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool2:

4. lawnsaspire

Like Yancey Tucker (see signature picture) always said "you can't put shoes on a chicken and expect it to run"

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No, but you can put those little white socks on the ends of its legs and stick it in the oven for 30-40 minutes and make it taste real good.:laugh:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Well, you got me. I guess I am the only one with one leg to stand on. I don't use a service agreement and I don't know of anyone around here who does. They way we do it is with a good old handshake. I've never had a problem. I do however, send out a job description sheet/info sheet that tells info like service day, average year start and stop dates, prices, and other info. Such as what height I mow at to keep the people from asking me to mower shorter, and a few other things that people usually nit pick about. But, I guess I just have to do as requested. I did put the ball back in her court and I told her that I would really appreciate a call so we talk about all this. So all there is for me to do is wait. If I don't get a call, I quess I know that next year she will be getting replaced.

I did forget to mention that about 3 weeks ago she even had me start mowing an extra part of her lawn. She has horses and put in an outdoor arena. She wants me to mow around it since it is in her pasture. So we agreed upon a price and we went from there and she seemed really happy about it. That part I am only mowing every other week since it is in the pasture. I did tell her that I could not go any longer than that since it is pasture grass and it grows so thick. Probably now just realized that since she was paying more for that, that she couldn't afford to mow the yard anymore.

7. lawnsaspire

Don't start this up, I'll get kicked off lawnsite for being to silly.:walking:

8. lawnsaspire

Like has been said if really need her as an account, put up with it, if not let her go. I don't put up with too much bs anymore like when I started out, and I dont use service agreements either. I like your idea of having your policies all written down for the customer too read though.

9. gdguth

from Midwest

I am usually ok with the ones who don't want it done as long as they still want the clean-up or other work done. It just makes you mad when they say that everything is done until spring. I am sure I will get a few more that will call next week and start to say that we should go every other week. I am fine with that also, as long as it warrants it. People probably got use to not paying anything when the drought hit and we didn't mow for 7 or 8 weeks. But like you said, it does really need mowed now that it has rained. I guess we need to remind them about the 1/3 rule of grass cutting. People just think it should be a foot high when you cut it.

10. gdguth

from Midwest

This is a tough one as I only mow residentals. She is my highest paying account by about $20 more than the others. However I have to remind myself that it takes longer and is a little out of the way.