Customer Threats to make name mud due to tardiness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RoyalZ, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

My residential customer lawn was 11 days uncut and grass was high. I have a customer who has chosen to handle his lack of service by threatening to make my name mud in the Home Owners Association Board, ask for his money back and approach me with a side arm trigger unlocked during discussions. First email I received: "Service is needed pretty bad on my lawn. Please complete that by Tuesday. You never came back to do my hill in the back and it now stands over 1 foot tall. To tell you the truth I was a little embarrassed to tell my friend yesterday that I pay a lawn service to take care of my yard. Considering you live right down the street I didn't think I'd have to ask you to service my lawn every time." i responded by saying " It seems that I have too much to do to provide quality service for your yard. I mow lawns on the weekends as a method of gaining extra income. This is what I will do for you as a service. I will mow, trim edge and blow ASAP. Then I will return to my desk and make some decisions. " THEN he responded by email "Considering I pre-pay you for a service, that doesn't get done, I'd either like the service performed as agreed upon or I want my money back and services terminated. Your poor business performance will be noted on our HOA web site, and spread around the neighborhood by word of mouth as well. I know you just do this for extra income... but that's no excuse for taking customers money in advance, then complaining that you have too much to do to perform the service. Maybe you should try something else for extra income." When I went to his house he had a side arm at the ready...SHOULD I DUMP THIS GUY? or handle it professionally and continue service?
  2. Fire/Grass

Fire/Grass LawnSite Member

I don't want to cause a pissing match but honestly, I think you all ready lost on handling it professionally! Just my opinion on what you posted
  3. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

Probably so...I am trying to learn the discipline of professionalism vs getting my feelings hurt by comments inetneded to solicit a response.
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go do it and then give his money back for the rest of the year. To be honest what you posted makes you look very bad. You basically admitted to taking money yet not finishing a job.
  5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Not for nothing..............But I cant see anywhere I disagree with this customer....
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

WTF is a side arm, you mean a gun?
    To me that's a call to the police, lock'm up.
    But yeah, you shouldn't be playing the pro game if you cut on the weekends then you are doing this on the side, and that is amateur.
  7. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Here is a great quote that might help you.

8. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

LOL... I that is hillarious! ...Did I write that? Yes I did... and in fact I am in search of a policies and procedures document to hand to my customers at the get go? Any one have this they would like to share with me? please email it to me at
  9. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I am a fully licensed Landscape professional who holds two fulltime jobs and find doing this on the weekends is NEVER the case. Every morning and afternoon you could find me out doing lawns and advising for FREE to customers who do NOT threaten me or my organization.
  10. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

We completed lawn service the same day customer sent email then I went back to customer face to face and asked "how do you want to handle this agreement? He stated he is satisfied with just keeping the lawn cut and it does not have to be perfect but cut on a timely basis. So we agreed to communicate more often by cellphone and email and test the rest of the month. At the end of the month we will re-decide what the best course of action will be to split and move on or continue service in a mutual manner.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.