Customer trying to cut corners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J and M Mowing, May 28, 2004.

1. J and M Mowing

J and M Mowing LawnSite Member

The other day, I went a residence and gave a man and woman a price on building two fairly large flowerbeds. After having the bid printed out and sent to them, the man called me and left a message stating that he and his wife wanted me to do the work. A day later, he left another message stating that his college aged son was going to do some of the manual labor in order to bring my price on labor down. This irritated me considering that he got a reasonable price to begin with. Needless to say, I started the work with my crew, thinking that i would re-coup the reduction in labor with charging extra for the topsoil we are bringing in. Was this guy cheesy or what? My first reaction was to walk away from the deal. Should I have walked?
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

No dont walk RUN AWAY. unless you just need some money.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You don't "share" your work with anyone. It ends up costing you more time and work in the long run - ALWAYS. You are fixing and adjusting somone elses mistakes. Then, things don't get leveled right, get cut wrong, or assembled crooked, and who's work does it reflect on? College boy's? I don't think so. Ask you customer - do they think a service garage would reduce the price of a brake job if you son removed the wheels for them?
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

It will only get worse. Stand your ground...if they don't like it, walk away.
  5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Walk away. Or just ask them what they do, if they are a service provider ask them if your son can come and do something to get his price down. That guy is a complete jerk, a tighwad, and an assclown all rolled into one. The first thing I would have done when he called and "told" me what he was gonna do, would be too laugh and ask him did I have ****** written on my forhead when I came by for the estimate? Cuz Im pretty sure I didnt.
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Under no circumstances do you ever let a customers tell you how to achieve the end results of a job, stand your ground, when I quote a price I stick by that price, if a customers son, daughter or nephew wants to help, great but they are not getting paid and there is no discount, the price is for the job PERIOD....