CUSTOMER WANT ME TO GET PLANTS IN ANOTHER TOWN 47.1 MILES AWAY (HOW MUCH SHOULD I $)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Hartzog, Oct 10, 2000.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

I HAVE A CUSTOMER HERE IN ALABAMA AND HE WANTS ME TO DRIVE HIM TO DOTHAN ALABAMA 47.1 MILES AWAY TO GET PLANTS HE SAID $15.00 I TOLD HIM NO I SAID SOMEWHERE AROUND $25 TO $45 I TOLD HIM I WOULD GET BACK WITH HIM. HOW TO CHARGE???????HELP PLEASE
    P.S. I CUT HIS PLACE (HOTEL) BEST WESTERN FOR 145.00 A MONTH AND WOULD HELP PLANT SOME FLOWERS AND BUSHES.

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

you gotta bring this guy with you?

If so do you like him and mind driving 100 miles with the guy? I would charge 30.00 per hour plus gas. you have to get piad for your time because you could be working at another job making money rather than driving this guy around. so make sure you get paid whatever you get an hour cause time is money, if not with this guy you caold be making it somewhere else.

3. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

HE IS INDIAN AND IS VERY NICE. WOULD YOU LIKE A SLUPPE WITH THAT?

4. Fifty cents a mile to the truck and $20/hour on a rainy day of your choice. Then plant the stuff as soon as you return.

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Make sure to tell him you charge an extra $1.00 a mile to MULLETS.

6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

THANKS KEEP THEM PRICES COMING

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Big shock there. An Indian hotel owner. His last name Patel? LOL

50 bucks for the vehicle + $50 for your time + whatever charge for planting the stuff. Charge good money for that, because you are not going to make jack from the plant sales.

[Edited by Keith on 10-11-2000 at 03:24 AM]

8. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Geez keith-you too?
    Guy at the best western here is a Patel; must be Indian for "tight a**".
    Never met one yet that didn't want $100 worth of work done for $20, & wanted top dollar for their roach motel rooms.
    Tell them you need XXX amt. to do what ever you're getting into, & get it agreed upon AHEAD OF TIME.
    They will use & abuse you every chance they get-speaking from experience of myself & others also.
    I don't even give them bids anymore; take your diaper-head family back home where you belong. sorry if I'm short on compassion, but they've used it all & then some.

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Your hourly rate from time you start to time you get back, plus $.35 per mile. That is just to get them.

The way it is SUPPOSED to work is like this:

Customer calls you and wants XXX plants. You go to wholesale nursery and buy XXX plants for $200. You delliver to customer, charge them $400 plus the planting. There, you got paid for your time to go and get them AND your time to install them. Your final price to the customer, ($400 in this example) should be slightly higher than what they can purchase them from at a local garden nursery.

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

If I get a request for a quote that is outside of my normal service area I always add 50 cents per mile coming and going. I also try to get $60/hour for any work that I do. Never quote per hour prices. By the way the only Indian family that I work for is very nice and pays on time every time.