Customer wanting Lawn Cut at 1.5

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by longislandlawn, Sep 28, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

CONGRATS GreenDoctor on 6000 posts!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that. If anybody on LS has not learned soemething from greendoctor it is their own fault.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The bigger the mower deck, the cruder the cut. which is why I have caught some golf courses mowing their fairways with a tandem rotary system consisting of 20" decks driven by the tractor PTO. It still shreds the leaf tips and causes unnecessary disruption to the stolons of the bermuda.

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The OP clearly states that he has explained the consequences of suddenly mowing cool season grass from 3" to 1.5". This guy did his job correctly and has every right to ask if he should walk away from a customer. The Customer is Always Right is being replaced with An Educated Customer is The Best Customer.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Totally agree. I spend a lot of time educating people. So they are an informed consumer. The ones not accepting that education/wanting things contrary to that education are the ones I part with. Someone else can provide what they want to their detriment.

6. NuLifeLawnCare

NuLifeLawnCare LawnSite Member

Don't scalp it and wreck your mower. LOL I did it once to prove the same point and it didn't go over very well. Wish I had a picture of there faces while they watched the perimeter pass happen. It was priceless. I would never do it again.

7. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly right. Person protesting the most has not read the original post carefully.

Also: there is no turf that would not scalp by changing the cutting height from 3" to 1 1/2" in one cut, something BlazersandWildcats2009 did finally acknowledge recently.

Agree with greendoctor too.

This has gotten absurd.

8. In my experience the customers who make requests like the OP stated are ones that have nothing better to do with their time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

He still believes the ground under ANY species is pefectly flat and will allow an extra short mowing without damage. He has no idea of the work involved in topdressing and leveling that allow for those short mowings. The average lawn in any state, any species of grass and any soil composition will unlikely tolerate mowing of less than 2". That's fact and knowledge that comes with experience. But you go ahead and continue to pontificate about things you know nothing about from your stack of business books. Meanwhile the rest of us that do this for a living will continue doing what is right for the grass which oddly enough makes the customers want to give us money. Go figure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BOOOOOOM!
    Posted via Mobile Device