Customer wanting Lawn Cut at 1.5

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by longislandlawn, Sep 28, 2013.

1. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Much as I agree with you, OP was Long Island, Blazers is in TX with his zoysia sod.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

No probs. I know where he is. I know where the OP is and I am quite sure which types of grass grow best where.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

When I cut lower than 2.5 it takes me longer because I have to be careful so I don't scalp it into oblivion. I would tell them the consequences, and tell them you charge a little extra when mowing less than 2.5 inches or whatever makes sense to you. I don't see the point of turning them away unless it's hurting your equipment or not worth your time financially.

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a web site?

5. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

The thing to keep in mind is that it reflects you at he same time

6. This is exactly how i look at it. I got in this industry to maintain awesome landscapes, not scalp a yard down for $30 and say the hell with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Patriot Services

He can always replace the magnetic signs and rename his company. Instant plausible deniability. Wasn't me, must of been some other lawn guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. I also will not be caught on a lawn that is a thatchy overgrown mess either. I was at a zoysia lawn today. It will not be 5" thick after next week. Green and at the correct height of cut or I am somewhere else. No scalp marks or frayed tips either. St Augustine is never below 31/2". Don't care if it is supposedly a dwarf. Dwarf just means it does not double its height in one week. If the OP were talking about bent grass or a mix of KBG, fine fescue and rye. Those grasses can be mowed lower, but with the right mower and better control over growing conditions than is normal.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. Patriot Services

I just took on 6 fresh Jamur yards. 2 months old and got buzzed to 2" by a 60" rotary. I showed them a few passes with my McLane and they were sold. My spray guy can heal the scabs and I can take care of the rest. High end yards at 300 to 550 a month each. These will be my babies until I get a few guys up to reel speed. You got me worried now about my fancy bush hog. Is it really worth it for the greensmaster you spoke about? I got to work with what I got for now. My McLane hasn't paid for itself yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're far from any kind of businessman and the above quote, isn't even an ethic. It's just something that was made up by a person in business, who lacked a true managerial skill and was unable to deal with customer complaints.

You come into a forum of professionals and experienced businessmen and try to teach us about business. If you truly were a member of the elite class, you wouldn't have the time or desire to bother with us little peons of the business world. :nono:

Now go away.