customer wants a fig tree rapped

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jc1, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer called me asking me to wrap a fig tree it is about 8 feet tall and has about 6 trunks comin out of the ground. I would estimate to be about 6-8 feet across. I am thinking about driving 4 8 ft stakes into the ground and wrappng burlap around it that way. Do I wrap the tree completely from bottom to top like a mummy ? Any help is appreciated Thanks Jeff

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have done figs with wrapping burlap around the tree itself, no stakes. Start at the bottom with the roll, going around and up the tree, pulling the branches together. Do this a few times. Not sure if it is proper, but I have done it and seen it done this way.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

jc, my family floated over here in a ragu jar. in that jar, was a supply of water, and a few fig trees. i been wrappin granny's fig trees for 35 yrs. this is the way she makes me do it: after halloween, we take newspapers, just unfold them, and put them around the tree, bottom to top. tie them with rope to hold them. then, we take the straw from the halloween bales, and put that around it, and tie it also. when we are done, you can't see no part of the tree.

4. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

You S. Jersey Italians do things a little differently than in the north. Around here you can tell where the Italians are by the blue tree in the backyard. They all use poly tarps to wrap them.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Not sure of the "proper" way to do it but I had one at my prior house. I wrapped it like I do crepe myrtlr. Burlap taked to stakes as you mentioned, then I fill with leaves. "THE BOOK" one of them, says this is the best way to do a crepe myrtle here in the Northeast.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

scuse me henry. i'm in central jersey. the "blue tarp " italians are imitations. granny grew up in the mountains of calabria, italy. they had dirt floors, drew water from a well, and if they wanted to eat something they had to kill it first. where do u think they would find blue tarps?

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

bobby there you go again....making me laugh so I coudn't swallow my java....you are indeed a piece of work

9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bobby, fuggedaboudit. I thought you was from the sout. An old Italian customer told me his parents came to this country because they heard the streets were paved with gold and they could get these great blue tarps that made tree wrapping easier.

JK :D