1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer wants bagged...what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 3, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I hate bagging, but I dont really want to lose the account. It's a $30 account that takes 22 mins to service, but they want it bagged this year. I'm thinking of taking her up on it, but thinking of increasing the price $5 to $35. I'm pretty sure she'll have no problem with this.

Would you do it to keep the account? Too bad bagging slows you down a bit.
  2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Charge accordingly for your time and don't forget the disposal fee. If it takes more time then bill for it. We all love what we do but we do not do it for free or all jobs for the same price. If it takes more then it will always cost more.
  3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would do exactly what you are doing as long as its a smaller lawn. If it was a larger lawn that would require several stops to dump the bag I would skip it.
  4. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i bag it every time, especially the dirty ones....oh wait you are talking about grass huh. no seriously iaround here everyone bags their grass.
  5. scannon

scannon LawnSite Member

What type of grass is it? You could pitch them about the extra nutrients that the clippings provide?
  6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

explain the benefits of mulching versus bagging, and give them the option. Explain that you will have more labor involved, and will charge $5 more if bagged. Then they will be fully aware of their options, and can make the decision. This way, either way they choose, they feel like you gave them good knowledge of their chioces, and did not force them either way. My response has been the customers really like having that feeling when making a decision on the work I do.
  7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

the customer is always right, so if you want the job, just bag it and charge accordingly. I have a similar situation with a leaf removal customer wants me to mow this year, but has to be bagged, no ifs ands or buts, so I ordered a new accelerator bagger, should be in tomorrow. Marc
  8. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

She wants it bagged....bag it. I would charge extra also.
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i refuse to bag properties, too many valuable nutrients are lost. Not to mention the PITA factor. Any commercial mower is perfectly capable of mulching them so finely you can hardly tell it hasn't been bagged if it is cut on a regular basis.
  10. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

Good point. I mulch most of mine