1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer wants cut on same/specific day each week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 25, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

ive had a handful of customers request thursdays or fridays, some even 10am saturday mornings, lol yeah right.

What do you tell them? i try and explain in detail best i can why i cant stay on a set schedule per day, i cut wed-friday and i rotate as much as i can so that friday people get cut a day or two early some weeks and the wednesday people get their fair share of friday cuts before the weekends too.

I cant do one development which i have 10 lawns in, 5 one day, 2 the next and 3 the friday, common. what gives? How do you handle this?
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

My response: I am sorry, but I Have my routes made out so I am in certain parts of the city on different days. It turns out I am only in this part of town on ( whatever day) you are there. I do this so I am not criss crossing acoss town and buring up fuel

That is what I tell my customers.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Unless it is a Holiday that we take off, or an act of God.....we cut every single client, residential or commercial on the exact same day every week. We have it so down pat that my guys are even there at nearly the exact same time every week.

Now, we DON'T allow the client to dictate to us which day we cut as we tell them, but we do as I said cut the same day always.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I head that off at the pass. I use the day we service that area as a closing opportunity.

"we are in this area on Wednesdays, would you like me to go ahead and add you to our route?"

If yes, then they are sold, get your money and get out.

If no, oh were there other questions you had? never offering to change the day of service because it isn't negotiable.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do the best I can but my business has certain standards to which I must adhere to. One of them is first come / first serve, while the other is I decide on the lawn's schedule for the benefit of the lawn first, and most yards simply can not tolerate 7-day schedules for long, even if they're sprinklered and fertilized they will not survive July-August on a weekly cut basis, no way, no how.

So what I do with the 3-4 that I have is I put them on 8 day schedules during spring (they're all fert'd and sprinklered but I'm no chemlawn), and start them whenever, say Tuesday... Ok so then that is one day way off, but next week it's wednesday, then I cut on thursday and then friday and saturday... So for about a month, everyone is happy and by that time, the spring rush is over and the growth of grass has slowed down, plain and simple.

Once that happens, yards go on a delayed schedule, and the 8-day yards go on a 10-12 day schedule and again I take into consideration to try and cut it before the weekend but the customer is cool knowing it doesn't happen every time but there is an effort being made.

I DO make a special effort on holidays, like the one coming up, to try and fit all of them in right before, that pleases them to no end and then they are not so worried about the rest of the year.

And yes, I also have customers who could care less when I show up so long I show up one day, so I tend to delay those for a day if I have to in order to fit the weekenders, keeping in mind the weekend warriors tend to pay a premium rate while the guys who are not so worried like my average rates better.

Hope that helps.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Our good accounts get cut thurs and Friday's. But you also have to go by what the weather is going to be. They vary a day or two sometimes. No one seams to complain here if we cut them every 5 days or 7 days.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I follow the same procedure as you on day of week, and when things are going well, arrival/departure doesn't vary more than 30 minutes from week to week. However, I do develop my schedules based upon customer request for DOW (within Thur/Fri). My customer base has been steady for several years, and has consolidated to a few neighborhoods. A few in one neighborhood wanted Thur/Fri, and some in another wanted Thur/Fri. So, these are the two that developed Thursday and Friday schedules. Another neighborhood was willing to work Wednesday, so they are all on Wednesday's schedule. My "don't cares" are on Monday and Tuesday, with some Saturday scheduled as well. I'm small (mow a maximum of 8 per day, sometimes 9), so can be more flexible than those of you who are larger operators.

Yes, I had a request for a different time of day on Friday from one customer, and was able to accomodate their request too. They had the prime weekly spot, Friday afternoon, but wanted Friday morning.
  8. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

try to cut the best paying quality customers on thursday and friday.
  9. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I try to cut all my residential jobs on Thurs. or Fridays. This way they look good for the weekend. If I get someone that wants it done on a day that we're on the other side of town, I explain to them that it'll cost more to have me there on a different day from everybody else's. This they usually understand, But ever since I moved all the houses closer to the weekend, nobody's complained about the day their set on for mowing.
  10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I have a set route, and a new customer falls in where they fit best. I tell them what day they will be cut, approximately what time of day, and that is that. If they say they want cut on Friday, I tell them that I have 40 other customers that would like the same thing. :rolleyes: With costs constantly on the rise, I don't bend. Well, I would for the right price, but I doubt anyone would pay it.