customer wants grass planted where pesticide was sprayed 2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zippoz, Jun 21, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

so i hired someone out to spark somting to kill off the weeds at one of the locations i take care of, a gas station. now they want grass planted where the pesticides were sprayed...

most of the locations that were sprayed were over wood chips and i think that if i remove them and the black anti weed growning cloth that the soil underneath will be fine, but what about the areas where the bare dirt was sprayed? will the pesticides prevent the grass seed from growing, or will 2 weekd have been enough time for it to disapate suffucently?

what do i have to do to make sure that the seed will grow. i also will add that this is in chicago and that seeding now isnt the best idea, but the customer demands it and will not sod.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What was it sprayed with?

3. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

the guy i hired was pretty low class as i recall i think that he just used some chems from home depot, said he was licensed though....

4. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

you'll be fine, unless it was a bareground treatment, total vegetation kill. if it was just a herbicide, it wouldnt affect the grass anyways.

5. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

everyone else agrewe, i m actually supposed to do tis today.... man im a slacker. it onlly occoured to me this morning as i was going to get my boots on, and i thought i should check

6. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Its probably Roundup (or some of glyphosate type thing) if he just picked it up from Home Depot. If its the Extended Roundup (3 months - no growth), than you are SOL. If it was the regular Roundup, you're fine.

Why would anyone use a selective herbicide on bare ground or wood chips?

You need to know what he sprayed. I'm trying the 3 month stuff at home (not licensed) to see how well it works. It costs quite a bit more...

7. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

im sure it was the cheapest stuff he could get, im thinking that it was preen....

but the problem is i see how these people take care of their locations and i dont even think that they are going to water their grass enough for it to come in at all. i tried telling the manager that he needed to water twice daily at the very least and he was telling me that once was enough, so he heard.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Zippoz

Good to hear you use subs you can trust and Respect. That is a great way to build or keep an Excellent reputation. But Why ask US?? Call him and ask what he put down and if he could advise you as to reseeding.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Geez,..Talk about some RANDOM guesses! lol You better call this guy and see if HE even knows what he sprayed, because by the sounds of it...I've got news for him. First, it sounds as if Glyphosate was the weapon of choice (should have been) in this case. What rteally throws me though, is when you say he sprayed bare areas of beds as well. This is a big no-no as this is where red flags are going up in my head. If he was "spraying", there are two scenarios that could play out, here. 1. he doesn't know what he is doing, or 2. he has no clue of what he is doing.
    If he was using gly, there is no such thing as spraying the bare soil. If he WAS spraying bare soil, he was perhaps using some sort of soil sterilant - with salts in it. If there is stock (shrubbery or ornamentals) in these beds, that is bad, because of the leaching this stuff has. A pre-emergent would have perhaps been the best choice if there is indeed bare soil. In this case, if it was something like Gallery, then we're alright. You will just have to turn (till) the soil well. Anyway, call this guy, and ask. See wgat the ACTIVE INGREDIENT was, and research it yourself or bring it here. Maybe we can then advise you better on what to use and/or do.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

I know the type of person he might be referring too. In fact he was a neighbor of my and Posted here a few times under the name "Elvis something" Yes old Elvis let's call him Went to garage sale to buy chemicals. And when a older nursery went out of business he got all there 10 year old and over pesticide stock. Of Course he killed some plants and a customer complained to the state. He came to me to barrow my BlueBook to show the inspector and I would not loan it to him. But I did agree to print labels off the net for him. Looking over my shoulder I pull up Dursban TC and he said That good. I printed it keeping my mouth shut. I figured a good fine might set him straight. He got the fine but it didn't set him straight.