Customer wants groundcover

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hookem, Jan 28, 2001.

1. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have a customer that wants groundcover on approxiametly 10,000 sq. ft of ground. They want all evergreens and no decidous plants. Half of the property will receive full sun and the other half will receive partial shade. I have estimated that approxiametly 1,500 plants will be needed to cover this property. I based this on each 100 sq. ft will need 16 plants to sufficiently cover. I have estimated the price including plants and labor, but I would like to see how the rest of you guys would price it and to see if my plant estimation would be close. I would appreciate all advice.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I don't think you are using enough plants, of course you might be using larger plants. Can you tell us what you want to use? And what kind of coverage rate do you want (coverage in one year or two years ect)
    This will help us in finding out if you have enough.

3. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

Sorry for not descibing some of the plants I will be using. I will be using euonymus coloratus, Carolina Jessamine, Ivalace ivy, St. John's-wort, Evergreen Candytuft, Vinca Major, and Verbena 'Homestead Purple' which not a evergreen but is very showy and spreads quickly. This will be the only exception to the rule of not being an evergreen. I do not expect coverage in 1 year. The customer has already spent a lot of mula on the job so I am not going to go with immediate coverage. I hope this helps. Thanks Kevin.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Thats still 6 sq. ft per plant your not going to give them much coverage in 5 years. Lots of places sell plants for under .50 per plant so try upping the number your customer will thank you.

5. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

Hey Paul,

I would like to know where you are finding quality plants for 50 cents. The cheapest I have found groundcover is $1.18 per pint. That is from a whole sale nursery. The plants I chose spread fairly quickly. Do you guys know of some more hardy plants that are evergreens which also spread quickly. Thanks.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Is he a grower of the plants? or is he rewholesaleing them.
    Check with a volume growers in the American Nurseryman Mag.
    your Plant selection is good but look for contiuity in your planting, ground cover is a tie in that brings a theme thru your beds.

7. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

Paul,

The nursery I get them from, she grows half of them. For this customer I wanted to put in fescue but they want as little maintanence as possible. Esscentially the groundcover will be their yard. I don't like the idea but if the customer wants it then they can have it. What groundcovers would you personally recommend, Paul.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok I like the ground cover idea but remember to use it as a theme (read as lawn) so one or two types would be all I would look at. Even tho they grow them they seen to be high in price. Check out Midwest Ground Cover in IL or check with some of the bigger growers, if you bring down the wholesale price you can plant more and give your customer a better planting.

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that you will need to use closer spacing for most groundcovers. Some, such as Vinca Minor, are grown in 2 1/2" peat pots which should cost $.50 at most. Since you have both sunny and shady areas, choose accordingly, but keep it simple. Have you considered using Nandina Harbor Dwarf in shady area?

10. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

I have done about 10 different designs for this customer and they have all turned out great. I used 40 'Fire Power' Nandinas so far in an extremely large bed of 2,000 sq. ft along with 80 Blue Pacific Junipers. I believe I have my fill of Nandinas. Thanks though Lanelle.