Customer want's lawn mowed certain day!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FdLLawnMan, Apr 5, 2008.

1. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

The majority of my business is fertilizers and chemicals but I do have three commercial accounts and 5 or 6 residentials. I am going to look at a 10 unit condo complex in which they were very disappointed with their lawn care provider last year. They said he would not show up for a week or two and the lawn would look terrible. In the proposal they sent me they want the lawn mowed on a certain day of the week. If it isn't the payment would be deducted by 25%. If it rains I would be able to call and move it up or back by one day. Do any of you have contracts this restrictive? To me, this seems somewhat punitive and restrictive. What would be a good counter-proposal that would be more flexible?

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like trouble, maybe you need to counter by asking for references of paid contractors and your price should be the PIA premium price + 25% for doing the job right. If you choose to not do it right than you still make your normal rate. What expenses are they incurring by you not being there on "tuedays"? Parking or scheduling issues or just looking to have the upper hand and save a buck?

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

How flexible is your schedule?? Are you able to get to it on a specific day?? Or is it going to be hard to commit to that?

If you can commit to it, then what's the problem?.

A 10 unit condo complex, are you talking 10 buildings? Or 5 buildings with 2 units each? Or ????

I personally would tell them, listen, I can get to it on day "whatever", but I will not agree to being held to the 25% "fine".

I would also put in there, that if it rains, I do not have to call. We're all adults, I don't need to call and ask for permission. I would tell them EXACTLY that way as well.

However, if it's a Friday they want to be mowed on, I would have them sign off that you're able to mow on Saturdays there if it rains Friday, or have them sign off that you're required to wait until Monday.

4. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a chain of Baylake Banks in my area Friday, they want mowing done before opening or after they close. I told them no problem, I have 6k worth of landscaping from them and a 6k irrigation install for the year...I think I can accommodate. Oh, they moved companies due to lack of communication, I can't believe more companies don't communicate with their customers in my area.

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Never let a customer give you the terms of the contract. I think lawnmowerman is right on this, try to work with them, but don't let them bully you. It's your business and you know how to get things done. Just be straight with them and if they don't respect that, then what other kind of demands are they going to place on you. If they are not willing to work with you on this I would let this one go.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sound like horses@%$ to me. never agree to a penalty for mowing from a customer. they either pay you and choose you or not. no ??s about it!!!

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with this 100%. Its ok to try and mow on a certain day if you are ABLE to but being threated with a fine and you must call if not able too,:nono::nono:I ain't bowing down to no one! I'm not in first grade anymore and I got out of the rat race to avoid this crap to start with. However, its your biz and decision and I wish you well in whatever you decide.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds to me like they're just bitter from the last company. They probably had a meeting to discuss future lawn contracts and just went overboard.

If it were me, I'd sit down with them and discuss it. Get to know them, get them to know you, etc.. Sure we try to mow the same day each week but things happen. It doesn't mean I'm not coming at all that week.

If you want poor service from me, try to take 25% off my payment and watch.:nono:

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would take the job and mow in the rain if need be. We mow in the rain all the time as long as it is not a heavy down-pore and not lightening. If we did'nt mow in the rain, we would have only gotten out 2 days last week.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would run. just looks like they are setting you up, kinda like they are looking to get 25% off all the time