Customer wants MY S.S. Number ??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a small landscape job in April 2004 for a home builder / construction company. The job was planting trees and shrubs and cost less than $1500.00

They just called me and said that they are doing their 1099's and want my social security # or a tax id number.

Am I required to give this info?

2. Gene $immons

A little background. this company was a PITA to work with, he pinched every penny and made me replace a tree twice for dying when it was an irrigation probem flooding the tree and killing it. I did not do the irrigation system. They wanted me to replace the tree a third time and I said NO WAY. I originally told them that they have a one year guarantee on the plants. But I would not keep replacing this tree unless they fixed the leak. They say there is no leak. Not true.

I was wondering why they are wanting to issue a 1099 on me.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

He is required to give you a 1099 for any payment over 599.99. So he needs your SS or tax ID.

4. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Gene -

I have a 10k agreement with a property menegement co here in Oklahoma as well and they requested my SSN or Fed-ID number as well...

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you must

6. Gene $immons

Thanks!

I was just making sure.

7. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Gene, I am no accountant but here goes:

1 Did you bill him when the work was done. ( statement and receipt)? Establishes subcontractor status.

2. Who paid for materials? Did you buy them and bill him in your statement?

I think if you provided the materials and the replacement materials out of your pocket, and billed him with receipts then you are a subcontractor. If he was given a statement and receipts then he has a record of money spent for tax purposes. I wonder if he 1099's you will he claim the charges twice? I WOULDNT GIVE IT TO HIM. - Paul

8. Gene $immons

I did the work and billed him. I kept the receipts.

9. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

There is no need for you to give him your SS#, Unless you were acting as an employee of his. Its like taking your car to the mechanic and then askin the auto shop owner for his SS# ....They are just looking to cheat the IRS on their taxes ..Tell them to just submit the receipt your company gave them
    as an expense . I bet the IRS wont go for that ...

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

You need to give him a tax ID # or if you don't have one then your ss#. You did work as a sub-contractor and he is required to send you a 1099.