1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer wants to barter (Need Advice)

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by LawnBoy627, Mar 11, 2012.

1. LawnBoy627

LawnBoy627 LawnSite Member

I recently got a call from a customer who received one of my business cards from a local business. I went out the other day to give the customer an estimate on maintaining the property. I talked to the customers wife and she said she would talk to her husband about it. Well today I got a call from the customer and he said he is in the marketing industry and will trade my services for his. He told me he will handle all my marketing (Web site, Flyers, ect.) Going to talk to the customer later this week. Any of you guys barter with customers? Is it a good idea?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with bartering as long as its something you need...it's non taxable so I like it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i barter all the time. just last week, got the bill for the repairs on my skidsteer. the shop owner wanted to know i wanted to swap out the labor on the bill for some landscape work at his house. im all for it, plus he lives in a nice community ive been trying to get into.
  4. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

If you are interested in getting more marketing then go for it. Barters are great for business. Because they give you something for your "costs" and vice versa. It's a great way to get stuff done without paying a premium. Just make sure its something you really need. However, taxes are still supposed to be paid in a barter. So you might consider that.

Bartering is good if both parties feel satisfied. Too many times someone feels like they are holding the sh##y end of the stick. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Like others said bartering is good IF they offer somthing you need/want & you offer the same, if you are happy withyour marketing then I dont see where you benifit. For instance the lolocal garage that repairs your truck, as others said the Bobcat repair place, trailer dealer (if you need a new trailer), etc. Hell even a resturant you or your wife like. The marketing I would probably pass on though, unless you know his work, now if he is the guy doing the printing & you need more flyers, then thats another story.
  7. Cheffy

Cheffy LawnSite Member

Yeah great idea if you need it. I barter with a long time friend who owns a large home improvement / remodeling co. He sends out a very attractive brochure monthly to his current and long term customers ( 3000 ) . In which I have a nice 1/4 page add . I take care of his two shops. Lawn care and weed control. Barter is good.
  8. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

get a written contract
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Tried that once and it was for advertizing too. Will NEVER do it again wasted 2 years for advertizing that we knew wouldn't work and basically wrote off $3000.
  10. MyYardPeople

MyYardPeople LawnSite Member

Have him list the things he is willing to trade (no need for contracts, although him listing it and both of you having a copy is a basic contract) then figure out when and how he is going to do it... Bartering is one of the oldest ways of doing business and sometimes the most effective. If you do it right you will make way more money out of the barter than if you just charged him for the yard. Say you get 2 or 3 annual contracts out of the marketing not a bad trade if they pay well.