Customer wants to go to one mow every other week...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jason9696, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

My best account wanted to go to to once every two week and mow at 2" high. First of all, I would never agree to cut anyone's lawn at 2" high, that's just ridiculous. Aside from scalping the lawn, this would encourage weeds to take over.
    Anyways, when I set up the contract the customer wanted to do the trimming to save money.
    Instead of losing my best account each week, I compromised and agreed to do the trimming if he stayed weekly.
    Do you guys find yourselves compromising to salvage some income?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

With the exception of one yard, my accounts are ever other week and I will NOT take on any more of these. Yesterday I cut 2 yards, one had been cut 9 days earlier and the other 13 days. I had a rough time with it, having to double cut both of them. We have had some rain lately and it kicks burmuda into gear. Do not let the client dictate you, either do it your way or let them go. I have kissed arse for so long now it has gotten real old real fast. I will do it my way or hang it up. If we get into a dry spell and the grass does not grow fast I don't mind the every 2 weeks but not in the peak growing season. I have had some that wanted it done once a month:laugh: Not going to happen.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

sounds like a pita. i told my own g-parents that i wouldnt just trim and edge their lawn. if he doesnt do what he says you get a bad name for it. plus if he scalps w/ the trimmer...i think its a no win situation for you. i dont want a customer screwing up my work.

4. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

How can this be your best account?

5. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

By best, I mean it's the best looking lawn, not necessarily my best customer.
    I should have clarified better.
    I'm not ready to just drop this account as I am pretty small scale and losing this would really hurt me financially.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

tell him you'll cut it every two weeks but you will have to charge more and then double the price hes paying now. tell him thats how it is. either love it or leave it.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You folks on this weekly mow bend on some kind of mind-altering drugs?

You have not noticed the grass isn't growing as much anymore?
    You have not noticed it's getting warmer outside?
    You have not noticed your lawns are showing signs of stress?

When, before you got into this business, did you EVER cut your own lawn weekly, year round?
    Then what happened, you forgot what it was you were doing, going into business made you lose your mind?
    What is so different from mowing lawns now, than before?
    And why should it be any different?
    Did you know, if you mow a lawn too often you will burn it?

How can anyone be in the business of lawn and yard maintenance if they don't know what they are doing?

I am surprised your customers are not asking you these very questions.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Let me answer this. When I say I will not do anymore EOW yards I am talking about BAHAI and Burmuda from March until the middle of June when it rains a decent amount, not when it has slowed down or we are in a drought (like last year). The two I did yesterday took me almost twice as long from having to double and triple cut to make it look nice. I will NOT leave grass clumps in a yard, makes me look bad and not feel good about my work. Have you ever cut bahai before, it needs mowing every 5-7 days at least and Burmuda can go from brown to thick and lush with just one good rain in days.

9. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

During month of May I cut 1 day earlier each week or every 6 days until June because of growth.Double cut means double money in my book.

10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

This, is your BEST account?
    I'd start looking for different accounts.