Customer wants to level out their yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by l3randonf, Dec 2, 2011.

1. l3randonf

l3randonf LawnSite Member

Normal residential lot with a huge, awkward hump in the middle of the lawn. They want the hump gone. What is the best way to knock it down and smooth things out?

What will become of the grass in the surrounding area where the dirt will lay or should the dirt be hauled away?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Some pictures would be helpful. If you are cutting a hump out a skid loader with a decent bucket and perhaps some teeth on the bucket to make the initial cut.

What to do with the dirt depends on the amount and lay of the surrounding land. The last thing you want to do is screw up the drainage around the property. As in you don't want to leave any ponding or water in the basement.

Again pictures would be helpful.

3. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

If it were me, I would get them 3 quotes each one giving me a commercial discount and have someone else do the job since I don't have the equipment - this way you remain as their yard expert, you get professional help and make a few bucks. What to do with the dirt that is removed really depends on what it is, or how good it is, if it is really nice stuff, screen out the rock and spread it around as long as it doesn't monkey with drainage.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would be asking myself why that hump is there. If there's an awkward hump in the middle of the lawn, it's probably there for a reason. It could be that there's a bedrock outcrop that they wanted to cover, a septic leaching field that they needed to built up or even an underground storage tank.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to be a major size job before I would even think about bringing in a skidster.

The basic menuever is to remove the turf, rake out as much of the hump as necessary to maintain some sort of grade, and wheelbarrow away the remainder.

"Business savvy" is what needs to be considered. In the first hour of a skidster's cost vs. worker cost you are looking at least 5 times the money. 2nd hour can be reduced somewhat, but you'll never get below 2-3 to 1, and you always have lawn repair when your done that usually looks like trash...
    Within a week it should look as though it has always been that way... :)

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Define huge. Have you "probed" it? It could be the remains of a massive tree, in addition to what Darryl said. Id haul away whatever it is.

7. l3randonf

l3randonf LawnSite Member

Basically the hump in the yard is about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide and elevates over the main grade of the lawn by about a foot.

Am I supposed to scrape the turf grass off first? Should I use a tiller? A shovel? How do I attack this thing?

8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

10. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

Take a hand edger and edge out a 12"x12" square.

Then take a flat shovel or use the edger to pop out that piece of sod.

Put that piece of sod aside so that you can replace it if you should decide not to take out that hump.

Take a pointed shovel and carefully dig a hole so that you can see why that hump is there.

I would cut out 3 or 4 squares spaced out down the center until you find something. Or, if you have not already, ask the homeowner if they know why that hump is there.