Customer wants to "one month trial service" me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stephen424, Mar 30, 2010.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I would try it it without the contract. Its easy to tell a Pita you wont be back. And I always tell them why too. Sometimes these customers turn into your best clients.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Emphasis added, and it's why he should at least give the customer a try.

I've had a few that at first looked like they would be the biggest pain to deal with but after a month or two, turned out to be the nicest people I'd ever dealt with, they are just picky. Do a good job and that all goes away.

Remember it's a trial on both ends, the LCO isn't obligated to keep servicing the customer either.

3. HARRIS Property Management

HARRIS Property Management LawnSite Member

If you do take it, I would lay out how your business works up front with him. I personally do not believe in giving any kind of gaurantees on the same day each week because there are always too many variables. And Im sure if it rains on Friday he will expect you there on Saturday and then resume back to the fridays after that. Everyone wants their lawn mowed on Friday but unless you are a part timer it doesnt work that way. If he wants to trial basis, I say no problem....put him on a pay as you go until he is comfortable to do a contract.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

this guy seems like a tool and very anal :laugh:, maybe you dont want to work for him.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you don't have many customers with a shitty attitude ike that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mowerman2112

Mowerman2112 LawnSite Member

Not worth it! Some folks just can"t please, this A-type would be the first to give you a bad rap! Had one............Had! What something for nothing and will find something wrong
    regardless of your quality work!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

In reality, we who primarily do grass cutting are on a trial program all the time. If a customer doesn't like our work, we are gone, finished, end of story.

I know, I know, ... some are going to say that is why I have a contract. Do you really think you can enforce a contract for a part of a season, at $30, $40/cut? If they tell you not to return, and when you show next time the grass is already cut by another LCO, what is your option? Sure, you can send them a bill. Do you really have any hope of having it paid?

Remember, it is only grass cutting, nothing more complex, and not something that hundreds, thousands, of others cannot do. When I leave a property after a mowing, I never know if that was the last cutting there, or not. By the next week, I may have been replaced by another. Grass cutters are a dime-a-dozen, especially this season (just read a few threads on the subject).

8. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you need the money, maybe just charge an extra $5 or $10 per cut, if she says yes, you have a lot of extra $$$, if she says no, let it go.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'm usually a very nice person and wouldn't usually turn away a potential customer but this would be one of the cases where I advise the customer about my services and if they don't like what I tell them, then "Bye-Bye".

The fact that they say to not come between 2-4 but yet the lawn needs to be mowed on that day (friday) tells me that they will be a PITA. I don't guarantee certain days or certain times. Things come up for me, whether they are planned or unplanned, so I don't guarantee any times. In this situation I could get backed up a couple times during the season and have to mow in that 2-4 block when I would usually come at 12.

If you need the work, go for it, but if not, save yourself the potential hassle and just walk away.

10. piste

piste LawnSite Member

Guy does sound a bit high maintenence but then again so don't you. You are "insulted" he wants to evaluate your service? It's HIS property and HIS money so HE gets to specify requirements and YOU get to decide to bid or not. Nothing more to it than that.
    Posted via Mobile Device