1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer wants to pay every 3 months

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Mar 21, 2005.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I work year round so I don't have time to sit around and make up scenarios to post on here. One of my customers sent me a check with a note that they want to pay every 3 months. I was thinking what would be the best way to do this. #1 get paid after 3 months. #2 get paid before the work is done. or #3 meet them in the middle. I'm going to do #3.
  2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Three months in advance. Anything else, you're asking for trouble.

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Have them prepay for the 3 months (or the whole year with a small discount)
  4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Pre-pay is your absolute best bet. Why anyone would agree to work for someone for three months before getting paid is beyond me. This applies to self-employment as well as traditional employment.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if you are going to do #3, is there a question in this?

if there is, I would only accept #2.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I gave a 7% discount last year for customers that wanted to pay the entire year upfront....I only had one bite. Of course any extras were still billed throughout the season. I am not doing that this year.

Get it up front.....of you will regret it.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How well do you know them? Do they have a good track record of paying on time? This would play a big factor in your decision, but #3 looks good to me. Even now, most of us extend credit for 4 weeks....with #3 it will be only 6.5 weeks.
  8. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I do this for one customer. That the annual fee, divide by four, and bill at the end of each quater. Since I provide only a small amount of service during Jan - Mar I am usually ahead for the rest of the season. You do have to have a good reationship first. It is a big estate and the only customer where I get over $100 per hour for mowing. It works for me.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would agree with the majority on here with just ask to be pre-paid up front for 3 months
  10. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you do #1 you may as well wear a shirt that says "please walk all over me."