Customer Warranties

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JeffY, Sep 5, 2003.

1. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious as to how long you would keep a warranty valid if the customer calls repeatedly about problems with their sprinklers. I have gotten lots of calls to this client's house to deal with their sprinkler that was installed this spring by us. Most of the problems are that there is a large brown spot in the yard, yet it is getting covered by 4 sprinklers. I've told them numerous times it's not dying because of lack of water but rather there is some kind of disease in the yard. I have refered our chemical guy to this client's house, but they don't want him to come. As I don't own the company, merely work for it, I'm getting tired of all the calls that require me to constantly go over and "fix" whatever problem they have. So..let me hear it. How long would keep it under warranty? Oh..and it's a 5-year warranty.

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i only go 2 yrs

3. JeffY

the warranties vary depending on the type of sprinkler heads they get. non PRS-SAM or checked valve head are only 3 years while PRS-SAM spray head and Checked PGP heads are 5 year warranties. we basicaly warranty based on the type of heads we put in.

4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

When I took the class required for licensing in Texas, my instructor said "you must always give a warranty. I prefer the 50/50 warranty. 50 seconds after I leave or when I'm 50 feet off the property, whichever comes first". I still get a chuckle out of that. :)

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Around here we give 1 year.

AND if I was called to a clients location, and found that the area in question had the proper coverage, they would be charged for a service call. I would have also mentioned it during the phone conversation with them about this charge prior to going to the location.

Around here the warranty covers operation/parts not turf disease related to most probally over-watering.

By the way, we don't install systems just repair them. BUT, isn't any given area only suppose to be covered by TWO heads? It's a question, not a judgement!

6. JeffY

The reason there area is covered by 4 heads is simply because the way it's laid out.

----------------------------
    + +

+ +

The stars representing the brown area and pluses representing heads. So you would think it's getting enough water.

I think I'm going to talk to my boss and see if he would rewrite the warranties to have it say only parts to be warrantied. I hate it when people abuse the warranties. Most of the clients are pretty good about it, only calling us out when something major happens.

7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you place some catch can devices on the brown spot and in a few of the outlying green grass areas. Then you can stop by some morning after its been watered and measure how much is in each catch can. Show the customer your results and your problem is solved

8. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

good answer, grounds master!

brian:p

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

10. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I only throw in the 1 year ifin I have to. :D